OT building stuff...

capt jake

OK for those of you who wonder if I have enough sawdust!!!!

A couple of days.. and Bamm a new home for my future grandson. :)

fa39a5d7.jpg

Hard to see, but I have embedded a quarter on each end of the piece. On face out, one yet to be installed (it will be 2004 to depict teh birth date).

my married daughter will decide to force me into such a project

Maybe a play on words, but this is the 4th grandchild.

Funny thing is, this is the only one where they have been married. :) (different daughter) Long story on all of the others, but suffice to say, I am really happy about this one.

She is a great person, and the son in law is a great guy too! :) :) I think the world of them. :) (and we will not talk about the other three by the other ..........daughter....)

I am hoping it will be an heirlom, as I won't have to build another! ??????? I am tired of sanding. :)

Thanks all! :)

Very nice Jake - I really like the quarters idea. All of mine were raised in a "store-boughten" cradle :oops: - although they still spend too much time kicking me out of my bed in the middle of the night :(

And hey, if you have three extra kids and don't mind them being raised Canadian, we'll take them. I just signed a contract to add another six bedrooms and three bathrooms to my house - leaves me two empty bedrooms with bunkbeds. Course they'd have to learn to like poutine :lol:

Hey Jake, well done, it looks mighty fine from where I'm sitting. :)

An idea I just had - as each new child comes to use the crib, a new quarter is embedded in the wood somewhere. After a few generations the thing will be festooned with quarters, and grandpa (ma) will be able to point out his quarter to grandaughter (son). Grandpa can show son (or daughter) how to embedd the quarter for grandson. Now that would be a nice thing to have! :)

Did you end up buying plans for the cradle, or was it case of "I know what one looks like, how hard can it be?"

Hey Frank how about a cradle section of the forum :P

Or ... cradle.com .... or messing-about.inbed.com and its attendant consequences with cradles as one fo the discussion forums :P:D

Actually I pronounce it "freedom-tine" :shock:

Sorry - couldn't resist - I'm a weak man.

I'm a big Leaf fan but still multilingual (This is Canada you know) - I say "pooteen" in Ontario, "putin" in Quebec.

In Mandarin, Spanish or Dutch I don't even try . . . however in Belgium you can get something close - hold the mayo.

Of course, Frechette, Maine - little cross pollination going on there eh? Perhaps you are an honorary Canuck?

I know I reached waaaaay back for the "freedom fries" line - it was weak but it's Christmas and I'm overfed and overtired. I thought it was pretty funny at the time - I could imagine 60 million Frenchmen becoming incensed over a cafeteria menu :lol:

I can't really get good poutine in many restaurants here either - other than the crap McDonalds and Burger King puts out - so I whip up my own. Did it shut down due to poutine-related heart attacks?

Ahhhh . . . couple of michigans and a huge pile of poutine . . . drool

I built one of those years ago. It rocked each of my six kids to sleep for the first few months of their lives. Now I have grand children, and it would be great to have the next generation use the craddle. But my doughter and her husbin beleive plasic is the only thing to use. Bah, plastic. So it sets in my a attic. Maybe some day one of the other grand kids will be in it. Yours looks great and I hope your kids puts it to good use.

Sorry if I drifted off topic Jake. Unfortunately I find it hard to identify with the warm environment you are creating for your kids and grandkids. Around my house the only thing hand made was the rye and cokes and the only thing handed down was clothes :? - lotsa backhands though :shock: . I would cry for myself :cry: but hey that which does not kill us . . .

It's a great cradle and I hope your family appreciates your efforts. 2004 sounds like it will be a Happy New Year for you and yours.

I'm not that old either, only 4 more than Ray. :shock: I have been a grandfather for 6 years already :shock: , this next one has everybody excited. And no, iI didn't start having keds at 16, My step daughters are a bit older than my children, though they aren't too far off from this either (I hope they wait a while). )

Capt Jake,

Grandchild #4 is due in our family in Feb.04. I want to build a cradle but hoped to make it a boat cradle that the kids can play in when not being used as a cradle. The book just in on boat cradle building is not my cup of tea at all.

I like what you have done and the quickness with which you built it. Where could I get the plan set?

Thanks,

Greg.

"The Winfield Collection" I hope this link works....

http://store.workshopsupply.com/catalogue/product_info.php?cPath=206_230_250&products_id=920

This is canadian currency so maybe..

http://www.thewinfieldcollection.com/catsearch.cfm This shows the hardware paks, though I bought my stuff from Rockler; I used the glider rocker swivels, and the spindles were only about $2 each in that quantity (20). :)

The plans a full size and a breaze to work through, though I assembled each side and then the ends, vs what they said to do. :)