winter is here in ohio

captjack

well... winter is here in Ohio!

the Diane G. is under cover for the winter and setting in the drive just waiting for spring.

While I am writing this I am thinking of the last couple of months that I was able to sail.

the sunsets were some of the best I have ever seen. the Diane G. sails better than I have ever hoped. I cant thank the people on this forum enough for all their support and putting up with the dumb questions that I had to ask to get this done.

Frank... hats off to you for running this forum!! Its a great thing that someone takes the time to help us the way that you have by setting this up and running it.

For all you others out there. please don't stop building!!!

belive it or not it will someday be a boat!

and what a boat she is!

When you are cutting across the water and nothing but the wind is all you hear and the sun is setting over the bow...... WHAT A WAY TO END THE DAY!!! Just pass me a cold one and I will set anchor and wait for the next days wind.

thanks again for all the help! I will be checking in more now that the boat is out of the water.

hope I can help some of the newcomers myself and maybe begin to pay back all the help that I was given.

Happy Holidays to all!!! 8)

I want to second the notion that there is a lot of good help here on the furum and I appreciate it as well Jack. I only look forward to the day I can get my boat in the water and have some sailing experiences to talk about. I was able to work on my keel this weekend. I got one outside piece cut out and faired. I'm ready now to trace that piece onto the other planks and get them cut out as well. I got my rudder cut out and the edges shaped. I found a blade in an old Craftsman moulding cutter set someone gave me awhile back that worked out perfect. It was a nice 1" radius cove cutter. I just put the end of it under a sacrificial fence on the table saw and cut the straight parts first then sort of pushed the round parts through little at a time and finished it up with a wood rasp. Worked out great. I also discovered something else. Ever since I made my rope stropped blocks I wanted to try making a grommet out of 1/2 rope. I finally got some and tried it. I wrapped it around a can of Chun King Chow mein (about 4" diameter) 3 times and cut it off. I then had enough material for 3 rings. I'm thinking of using them for mast hoops. They look pretty salty, they're cheap and they should be pretty strong and not scrape up the mast. They could also be replaced without taking the whole sail off the mast. I'll be thinking about it some more. I have a long way to go till I'm ready for mast hoops. Happy holidays everyone. :D

For all you snowbound sailing types. Sorry, was out on the water for several hours last Saturday here in Seattle. Covered a large part of Lake Washington and made Bill Gates security guards a little nervous when we looked as if we might be raiding his compound. Nice guys, but they don't smile and they don't wave back. But then they are paid to keep people from getting too close.

Winds were up to just under 30 mph and the tops were blowing off the waves and we had a ball. Just 24 close friends and scooting all over the lake. 65' Schooner hand built by the owner.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

wow' date=' must have taken weeks to slap that puppy together! i gather it wasnt stitch and glue. shes as beaut![/quote']

Hehe, a few weeks :lol:

Makes me wander though, what's the largest stictch and glue boat ever built? Devlin has some large ones, he's taken the technique to the extreme and I think he's got boats up to about 40'

That must be close to the max, I'd imagine since he's pretty much the goto man for thiis style of construction.

It took him 8 years. He started with a hull he found that would fill his needs. Then he designed the rest of the boat to that platform. He lived aboard it while he was building in a tent until he had a closed in space to have a roof over his head. "Saved a lot of housing costs that way!" Then he had a finish carpenter take a year to do the finish wood work in the cabin and topsides.

It is a magnicent boat and he uses it for taking the terminally ill, cancer patients (kids and adults) and other intstitutionally housed non-profit groups on cruises. He and another Master Captain live aboard and work with a volunteer crew. They also do one cruise a year to Alaska and that is for interns and paying clients that fly in and out to meet the boat and then cruise with them for some period of time.

Has a soaking tub for two as well! 8) :wink:

He has more information on his web sites: www.sailseattle.com and www.sailingheritage.org.

Great guy to work with and talk to. Facinating story and boat. And lots of fun to be on. :wink: