A Kindred Spirit

Johannah

Holy crap Beeker! That is awesome.

What...did you sell a building or something? Good on you man. Love it.

Hey, I have been meaning to ask you...do you have some kind of easy to understand (for dumb guitarmakers) formula or ratio where I can determine physical dimension related to weight of lead.

Looks like I will keep it internal for now. Making a ballast box just forward of and beside the centerboard case. I would like to make the box and fit/mount it before I get the lead. (hehehehe)

Congrats on the upgrade brother. Life is good.

I sailed on an Olson 26 this summer. Outstanding. I love the performance.

The Cal should be similar I would expect.

LOL Ray. My wife and I leave a week from next Weds heading to New York to pick up a Seafarer Meridian 25. A Philip Rhodes design with 3'3" draft and a 2400 pound keel;)

We will be doing a total refit and restoration on her and then selling our 21 footer. We're keeping the 18 foot Sharpie for sailing in shallow waters:) and I've been working with the designer to convert that boat to a tri rig. 2004 should be an interesting year :P

A cubic foot of lead weighs around 700 lbs. a CUBIC Inch of lead weighs about 1/2 a pound. If lead components are irregularly shaped they are best mesured by water displacement. Figure out how much water it displaces and do the math. A cubic foot of water weighs 64 lbs, and there are about 8 galloons of water in a cubic foot.

OK beak, I can roll with that.

PLan is to cast a few pieces easy enough to handle and that will fit snug in the box.

Jo....whadamean ballast? You all been arguin when I was gone?

You gotta have ballast...these are sail boats you know....~:0)

That Olson I mentioned earlier was had for a song in my opinion...10,000Canadian....right now, that is about $7400 US. With a heavy trailer as well.

KensOlsonPortRearQuarter.jpg

Some day maybe....when Beak leaves me some cash in his will!

Meantime...I pretend with with toy boats.

Looks like you are being real smart about this whole buying a bigboatbusiness.

Great story on the grounding. Saw a lot of those when I worked in the shipyard. Dropped quite a few ballast keels in my time. Stressful stuff.

Had a go faster lightweight Martin come in one time, owner complaining of water always in the bilge. Decided it must be the keel bolts, hardened them up while in the water, made no difference. Hauled her, shored her up...so the weight was off the keel. I remember all of us just standing there having a look, and for some reason I just gave the keel a boot. The damn thing started swinging! Back and forth...athwartships of course. Funnier than hell. Started poking around and found the manufacturor didn't have hardly any thickness to the hull up to and including the keel stub. Everything was moving and flexing, and over some years I guess the bolt holes got bigger etc. Man, that was a big job. Navel arch, designer....I bet the cost was more than the damn boat was worth.

My favorite was a grounding of a 50 odd foot San Juan ULDB style racer. Amazing boat. It had just won the Swiftsure race and was motoring just off Victoria somewhere and hit some rocks with the keel at hull speed.

Some of the crew were beat up pretty bad from what I remember (about 20 years ago). Big insurance job. There was enough money in the job to haul her out to a nice building of it's own for repair.

I don't miss working in a shipyard...even if I did mostly joiner work. It is hard physical work...lots of ladders...up and down all damn day. I am too lazy for such things.

Great story Beak...stiff upper lip now.