Dumpster diving, my lucky day

tomstock

Yesterday I pulled about 20 feet of 2x6 hardwood from a bank dumpster. I'm not sure if it's mahogony, red oak, or cherry but the bare wood is a very dark reddish purple color, and the sanded and finished faces are sort of a lighter brown color, similar to red oak or mahogony. It's very very heavy.

I'll have to do some trimming to get rid of metal edges, etc, but for the most part it's useable. I'll use it for rafters, toe rails, tiller, etc. I'm 3d and my costs so far are $376. Not too bad.

Tom

Very nice find! Show us a picture of the wood when you can, please. I love scrounged wood: we have two walls framed with wood from packing cases sent with the new windows for the VA hospital, several beautiful doors dragged home from someone's curb and lots of bits of old moulding scrounged from the trash to replace missing pieces in our 110 year old house. The wood in that old moulding just tossed in the trash - American Chestnut!!

Tom

The wood you are describing sounds like cherry. when freshly sanded it iis a light brown and after it ages in the light it turns a dark reddish brown. It is a good find no matter what kind of wood it is. I have a lot of mahogany in my boat that was recycled from other boats. I only bought 1 piece for the shelves as I didn't have any big enough to make them when I got to the point of putting them in. It will make some nice accent pieces for you. All the brightwork except the mast and boom is recycled wood.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]