varnish over paint ?

waynemunro

here is a query for you expert finishers out there. I beleive that I may have done something in the wrong order. I varnished my splash coamings, then masked them off while I painted the top of the boat. Now that I have removed the masking from the coamings I have a very small ridge of paint, which in some places is lifted slightly from the surface. (picture of splash coamings below)

I am worried about these little ridges collecting water and it being drawn underneath the paint layer. I was thinking about putting another layer of varnish over the coamings and just over the paint layer, to seal up those ridges... anyone have any opinions on that ?

cheers

Wayne

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Wow!

I think you may be a little further along the finish curve than you realise or need to be. I'd just take it out and sail it!

As for varnish over paint, I'm not sure about some of the new finishes, but cars used to be varnished some times back in the 1930's. It is actually a technique I may try in order to get a more antique look on our little machines. I think your boat looks great and it's work fine.

Mike

Excellent to hear that it has been done before.. I'll do that then.

Launch will not be far away now Mike, I still have a list of things to do (essential things), such as get the trailer finished and registered, steering, rigging. I'm driving down south this weekend to pick up an outboard and all the ropes and wires that I need, I have the rest of the chandlery already (and going to do a days skiing while down there as they have just had 50cm new snow.. yippee).

however, october 25th is the proposed launch day.. have to make the sails too... phew. And summer is nearly here, it has taken all winter to build the boat.. but it'll be ready for a whole summer of sailing.

I'm getting quite excited :lol:

Snow? Is this late in the year for snow down your way? We're running out of Summer here for most of the N. Am. group. Here on the Central CA. coast, we're running out of patience with the Summer rather than Summer itself. It should be OVER by now! Summer here means fog and blah. This weather should have packed it up by mid-August. Weird. This is usually the nice time of year now: Cooler, but crisp and clear.

I'm not familiar enough with Southern Hemisphere latitudes to know how Christchurch compares; I do know that your pretty far down the globe though. Latitudes are deceiving though: We don't get the same type of weather here in the San Francisco area as Athens. And certainly Jeuneau in Alaska doesn't compare with Scotland! The East Pacific is pretty cold comparitively.

Our only recent exposure to New Zealand topography has been on the extra DVD's of stuff for the L.O.T.R. serries and the America's Cup stuff. Achingly pretty places.

Mike

Mike aren't you half Kiwi yourself? Didn't your Grandad spend time here in the war with a young Peter? I always thought theres more than a touch of kiwi ingenuity in those plans of yours. We call it the 'No8 wire mentality'.

I think Waynes refering to snow in the mountains (Southern Alps) however the weather forcast is predicting snow to low levels tomorrow, We always have an early spring snowfall, mind you its been pretty mild, so we can't complain.

Waynes boat is soon going to be ready and I can't wait to see them (both boats) together.

Ouch! :)

Seriously though, I've been working on a different project over the last few weeks (more on that later), which I'm currently in the finishing stages of. Its much smaller than a weekender, and its really given me an appreciation of the amount of work (sanding) required it would have required to get the level of finish you have on 'Fire Escape."

Its kind of satisfying though. One of the most frustrating things is when you fill up a hole with epoxy, leave it for 24 hours, sand it back, and ... the hole is still there! Usually a bit smaller, but, well its just as much work to refill it again ... sigh. :roll:

yep, it is late in the season for so much snow to be falling (even on the skifields), the fields were all due to shut this weekend.

I am now in queenstown and drove through falling snow today to get here.

looks like it is unlikely that we will get snowing this weekend as the weather is going to be too rough, a great shame as there is middle of winter quality fresh snow up there waiting to be carved up.

on the bright side, I am not the proud owner of a shiny new 3hp yamaha outboard.. now just have to make a bracket for it.

I think chch is about 42 degrees Mike, and queenstown about 5 hours drive south of that. though our weather patterns are often dominated by the fact that there is nothing except open water between us and antarctica.. and this weekend is one of those.

Also picked up all the ropes and stuff that I am going to need for the rigging I think. on the coutdown to launch for sure now.

Speaking of the LOTR scenery, here are a couple of pictures that I took today... not completely OT for the forum as these are a couple of the lakes which I intend to sail on later this year :)

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Well the weather forcast was right! Yesterday we had (unseasonal)snow down to sea level, Waves and waves of small snow storms, Looked very beautiful, but very little settled and it was all gone by nightfall. Today its back to being a mild spring day! Hope the sking was good Wayne. See guys you must come for a holiday here, Now you'll be to ski and sail a Weekender all on the same day!

Very pretty countryside.

Peter and his parents did spend the early part of WWII in NZ. I'm afraid we haven't any Kiwi blood though; he was just posted there.

Nice looking lakes. I think the Antarctic proximity must be why it seems cooler latitude-wise than here. We get the cold current down from Alaska which cools this coast, but I'm sure it's not as cold as off your South Island.

Mike