6 hour canoe?

rrb

I'm currently building one of the minicup sailing dingies (the plans are from stevenson projects.) I was looking through the gallery on this site and came across a picture entitled 6 hour canoe. Is that the build time on that canoe? If so where can I find the plans. I'm looking for a new project when I complete the sailboat. I should be placing it in the water for leak testing in the next couple of weeks. Thanks.

In my limited time in the shop, nothing is done in six hours, :wink: on a boat. This being said, the down time on the six hour canoe, is mostly for drying of the glue and paint. It will go together in around twenty minutes, after cutting and fitting it. You will need to scarf the side panels of just use butt blocks for the job. It can be done in a weekend, depending on the type of finish work you desire to aquire on it. Many plan sites have a version of it, to download free of charge. The best pirogue, though, is on the Uncle Johns General store, site. Just type it in the search engine. He sells the rib frames, and the stems, to built it more traditional. It is a little heavier, but that is a plus, when in unprotected waters.

I know that nothing moves as quickly as you want. I've been working on my current project for a year off and on now. I figured that doing all the work in the living room of my apartment would provide me greater build time but instead since i have to live in the apartment its made things very difficult. Ventilation is a pain, I have to wait until its cool enough outside so that things don't get unbearable here. Hopefully though the canoe will move more quickly than that though. I've also considered a canvas covered kayak. Anyone have experience with those?

Here is the one sheet skiff. http://www3.sympatico.ca/herbert.mcleod/build.htm

And http://www.theboatshop.com/plans/sixhour.shtml this is all can find on the 6 hour canoe, though I thoughy there were free plans available.

good luck !!

Here isn a free plan site, maybe something there to your liking!?? :) :)

http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/design.htm

I built the so called 6 hour canoe... took all up 16 hours then another for splashin the paint about 8)

What I did though was have both the Woodenboat article on building the Mike Obrian 6 hour canoe and the one from http://www.bateau.com {look for and download the free plans} which come in both imperial and metric measurements {note here Im still in imperial in adversity with most other Aussies who have gone to that totally incomprehensible metric system} along side me and built a combination boat of the two incorporating a bit more bulk into it... note here it does NOT need it I just did it :roll:

Anyways here is WDBS "Canoeythingy" or otherwise known as WAEF 01a

fbbd6372.jpg

On the Hawke 12ft catamarrans trailer waitin to hit the road...

fc030b44.jpg

Build it!! You wont regret it for one second! and believe me the hoons will love you for it! :lol: 8) Ive spent probably 50 hours all up puddling around the estuary and rivers here in the crisp piccinini dawn as the light slowly changes and the day begins and in the late arvo as the day starts to darken to night... its just one heck of a good thing 8) something I should have done a long time ago! :wink: Do it!

How can that mob charge for the 6 hour canoe plans? I thought having been in wooden boat magazine they would be free public domain? sounds a tad suss that charging busio :? :x ... if you want them give me a hoi mate and I will scan the sheets and zap em across by email 8)

I've built 2 six hour canoes. The designer of the canoe jokes that you shouldn't paddle more than 3 hours from shore. If you don't glass the hull the average construction time is about 16 hours. CABBS has a member that was teaching a continuing education were students built a couple hundred of them in eight weeks, 2 hours per week.

My daughters love to paddle these boats they are very light and with the heavy rocker to them they turn on a dime, there is a small shoe on the bottom to help with tracking.

The boats were designed at the University of Buffalo to be used as community out reach program for under privileged children to work along side a parent with the help of a mentor.