Amphora

Mark Gudschinsky

Me, the son of Mark :shock: , is going to build the research boat, the Amphora. I am Alexander Gudschinsky. I'm nine. Next year if you have any ship wrecks some where you can call my dad and we can try to find it. We'll give you photos of the ship wreck so you can post them here. :wink:

Keep it in mind. :D

Alexander and his Amphora.

I think I was nine or ten when I built the Amphora in the book. It's a great rowboat and I had a lot of adventures exploring San Diego Harbor (not so much underwater as around the docks). I sometimes wish I still had the original one. I look forward to seeing yours as you get it built.

Mike Stevenson

I mentioned your Amphora project to a friend I've known since First Grade (so he remembers the first Amphora well). He wanted me to suggest adding Lexan ports onthe floor for a glass-bottom-boat ability. I mentioned the viewer, and he remembered it but wants someone to try this idea out. :wink: I think he's frustrated that we didn't try it in our latest boat, but we haven't finished with it yet; I still could add it later! If you don't have much to look at underwater though, it might be more trouble than it's worth. It sure would be fun in Hawaii though. 8)

Mike

Alexander, this is a way cool project!! 8) I'll bet you can figure out how to get some school credit for it, if you like, as a science/history project. Plus you have the big advantage of being able to correspond with the original builder. Wow, neat :D Do you have the book?

Very good news, Alexander!

My local library has the Amphora book so I was able to take a look at it a while back, and it looks like a lot of fun. Make sure you keep us informed of the progress. Your dad can help you upload pictures to the site (or, if you're anything like my kids, you can probably show him how to do it!)

I remember the book and the boat from when my kids were young. That was one of my youngest sons favorites. Unfortunately the book is long gone. But it is still available used.

As I remember it, at the time, it was a child sized row boat with lots of additional things you could build to take with you exploring. A viewing glass in the bottom of a frame to see down in the water was one of them.

My son had lots of dreams about adventures in that little boat.

Now that he is a dad, I may have to find a copy for him to build one for his new son.

The Amphora

Amphora.JPEG

Amphora2.jpeg

In the second shot that's a PVC pipe crane for lifting sunken treasure, not a sail rig. I tried a sail rig on it once, but it was just not the right boat for sailing. It's a terrific rowboat though. Some of you may notice how this boat fits in between the Caliban and the Triad in Peter's Greek-themed boats. The Phaedra is still in the works, but it's only had one test sailing day and we haven't touched it in several months.

Mike

Yes I've got the book. I love the book. It even shows an under water search :!: I'm going to use my Amphora for a "book club project." That's like a book report except you build stuff. 8) I think it's a pretty cool idea for a glass bottom boat. I am going to try to use a sail to help with the speed.

I will show you some pictures, maybe even one of when I'm trying to locate a ship. :o

I hope you all have a wonderful time and don't sink any boats. But if you do we'll be on the job. :wink: