Paul J

Is $19.49 high or low  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Is $19.49 high or low

• High
    • Average
    • Low
    • Holy Cow I'm Moving

Ok we have a few scotch drinkers here, you Frank and Barry and Jake to name a few. Is like $19.46 for a 1.75 litre bottle of Makers Mark high or what. I never drink the stuff so have no idea. I was waiting for a pizza so just walked into the liquior store next to the place and browsed. I have not been in a liquior store in 15 years so what's the deal here.

Paul J

You would pay that or a bit higher here in California, so I suspect Florida augments their "no income tax" economy with healthy "sin taxes" on alcohol and tobacco.

California, by contrast, augments its high income tax with high "sin taxes", and for a state so used to sin, that brings in a lot of dough. And high gas taxes ... its $2.07 right now at Arco and the independent gas stations for regular Unleaded. That includes about .34 of state taxes, and also the sales taxes (7.25% in my county). Gas will probably rise a few more cents between now and Labor Day, and then start declining again.

So that puts the scotch price in prespective. Stay home and drink scotch.

That reminds me ... I have a bottle of Black Bush Irish whisky that Fintan gave me. I promised him I would do a live, on-line taste test when he got back from Spain. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow night. Hmmmm ...

The last time I drank Scotch, I just got out of the ----, and spent the night in the Bexar county jail, deservingly. Though I never found out wether it was the bouncer I bounced or the hooker I ----, that put me in those sweet confines in dear San Antonio, because the bar dropped the charges and the judge had mercy on a dumb kid by telling me to get my butt back to Alaska. Never touched the stuff again. :lol:

Mike, you mean you just never touched Scotch again, right? You don't let one bad experience spoil you for life!

Shouldn't there be a song " Ain't it funny how gas goes up before a holiday" or something :?: . We are to believe there is a shortage? The shortages only happen just before a holiday.

For those that want our gas prices to equal those in other countries, I bet I can get enough contributions to buy them a one way ticket to wherever.

And besides, it's Saturday, clear skies and about 83' Have a great day all

Stay away from Washington as well. We have incredibly high gas taxes. We're over $2 a gallon here as well. In some places $2.35 for premium.

No pipeline breaks, :roll: , refinerys are working and it is Labor Day. Get it while you can is the motto of the gas companies. It is supply and demand. When there is increased demand, they are going to get what they demand because they control the supply. The game goes on. :roll: But it isn't price fixing or collusion. Nope, just normal seasonal fluctuations. Yeah...right!

Actually we are pretty well off, all considered. We could be paying $3-$4 a gallon as in other places around the world. And driving little 3 lunger-3-wheel scooters and riding motorized bikes to get around.

But we willingly pay $4-$6 a gallon for bottled water. :wink: Scotch is beginning to sound good. 8)

Ok here's a little I am glad I am no longer in Washington. Gas prices here are about $1.57 a gallon regular and that is up $.15 a gallon in the past two weeks. When I left Washington the beginning of July gas was $1.49 for regular, so on that point and the nice warm weather and my new tan, yes folks I have a real tan now, I have to say I am liking it here. Have yet to go sailing in the warm waters here but will be in a month or so. That will be nice, warm water sailing life could be worse I guess.

Oh and Frank as to sin taxes I think they hit the liquior pretty hard here since the last time I was here 22 years ago but Hey Jake smokes are only $2.25 a pack. I remember booze being very low as to taxes. But life changes and so does the cost of things. Just glad I don't drink hard liquior anymore.

Well you all have fun and I will chat with you later.

Paul J

Alcohol taxes are higher there (shhhh ... don't tell anyone in Sacramento!)

There's a PDF chart of the state taxes on alcohol at This Link - PDF FILE.

Info is as of 1/1/02.

California charges $3.30 per gallon on liquor and charges sales tax on top of that, while Florida charges $6.50 per gallon plus sales tax. Washington, where you came from, has a footnote: because the state handles the entire transaction, they don't list the taxes collected separately.

On beer, California is at .20 per gallon, while Florida is at .48. (Taxing BEER? That's almost as insane as taxing scotch!)

So there you have it. all those liquor drinkers are helping subsidize you (although, since you don't work for an employer, I don't know how much the lack of a personal income tax benefits you ... for all I know, the state may really sock it to small businesses!)

Washington taxes beer at $30.00 a barrel or better known as a keg and I believe it's the same for liquior or maybe it's more for liquior. They where talking about raising that to $60.00 a barrel before I left. If you want to talk high taxed states Washington is getting to the top 5 in a hurry and no personal income tax. For tax purposes leaving has been a benefit, I pay less in taxes here personally and as for the business I will pay less taxes than in Washington. No B&O tax here, for those that don't know that's Business & Occupation tax based on your gross receipts not your net or even after costs, gross. Can we say Bye Bye Boeing. Cause dudes they are long gone and the state just don't know it yet.

I figure that the day I left my tax burden dropped from between $3500.00 to 4500.00 a year based on an average year. Plus my licence total dropped $15.00 a year and I now have to have 3 not 2. Add on top of all that the electric is cheaper and I use more of it. So that is another savings plus there is no heating costs really here. I paid over $850.00 a year in just furnance oil costs, I won't be paying that anymore.

Now don't get me wrong here, Washington is a real nice place. And I have no sour grapes at all about it. But in reality it is a very expensive place to live and do business. In that regards I will not miss the state at all. As a small business I am not a bottomless well of funds as that state may think all business's are and all the people who live there are. Some day soon they will come to a very harsh reality that they made too many mistakes, spent too much money and never accounted for it, and they will be so high taxed that business's will be leaving in droves and they will be broke crying the blues like other states who have made the same mistake. If you make the place to expensive for the average person they will leave and go elsewhere to live and do business where they can afford to live.

So anyone in the mood for a good old fashioned "TEA PARTY".

Paul J

Amen to all that Paul. If you and I are smart enough to see that why don't our "intellegent" politicians see it. The other thing that is ruining this beautiful state is all the people moving here to get away from LA and big cities like that and than as soon as they get here they try to change everything to like it was where they came from. Oh well, this is a boat building forum, let's get back to that and forget the politics.That subject causes acid indigestion. Where are those tums!

I thought "Sin Taxes" was only charged in Las Vegas. :wink: Heck, don't pay it. Problem solved., drink gasoline at the california price of 2.04. Last time I smelled scotch, I was in the moutains of Tenn, the guy called it Scotch, and it smelled like stale gas, anyway. :wink: :P

Doug,

I was not really trying to talk politics at all. I was just responding to Frank. He and I have had this conversation before about costs [read taxes] before.

What really bothers me is that an average person has to struggle with trying to fund building a small sailboat. It really gets on my nerves a little sometimes that we are paying taxes for god knows what but just a few bucks for a weekender or another small boat takes more planning than the damn federal budget does. It just don't make sense sometimes.

Well anyway enough of that.

But you know if Oyster drinks gasoline, that explains a lot. :o Not something I would do but hey what ever floats your boat so to speak, or blows your boat up, whatever fits I quess.

Paul J

Priorities Paul, priorities. Not one red penny, that is spent on Scotch or any alchohol products, can be seen the next day or the next year, like money spent on a boat. Priorities, man. can't you take a joke? :roll: We seem to find money and time for our foolishness. I just prefer to spend mine on a boat. Find a Walgreens in Florida.

The gas in Europe is over 1 euro to the litre, which is is 3.785 Euros to the gallon and the euro is trading just above the dollar. I was in Brittany last week so these prices are recent, I am not sure what Octane levels that was at, I never drove there, but they were all above 1 euro/gallon and most stations have 5 differnt fuels to chose from. Naturally most of their cars are very punny looking to an American and get better milage. An hike to European prices would be devistating here, to get anywhere now, at least in Allentown and most other places besides certain cities and towns, requires a car. I'm glad I am back to my Buick Century as oposed to being stuck in little Renualts and Opels, but it might be nice if things were actually in walking distance.

Jake, Jake, Jake. I am SOOO disappointed. :(

How can someone who understands the finer things in life (like the workmanship on that kayak for instance) not like Scotch??? :?

I don't know anything about Makers Mark. Is Paul's $19.46 for a 1.75 liter a typo.? Is the stuff any good?

A wise old Scotch drinker (most of us are, ya know) once told me, "It isn't how much you pay for it. The trick is to find one that you like, that isn't expensive."

Dewars, 1.75 liter - $31.99 on special. (I went for the quart.)

I tend to stick with what I like, but It's almost up there with Chivas and Pinch anymore. (Neither of which I like as much.)

Should I try Makers Mark?... Or maybe some other brand?

Hey Frank! Hows about a Scotch drinker's forum :?:

We could talk about Scotch, and compare our liver conditions. :wink:

splash_top_eng.gif