WOOD

P Doug (WA)

Has anyone on the west side of Washington state, bought wood from Eden Saw Woods, Ltd. They are located in Seattle and Port Townsend. I e-mailed them to get some prices for marine plywood and they were right in the ball park with other places I have priced. They have clear Sugar Pine 1x12's at $5.11 per BF. I don't know if that is good or not. Just wondering, Port Townsend is easy to get to from my son's home in Poulbo.

Doug,

Eden Saw is a good company has been around for a while and deal with boat builders both home and professional, plus they deliver in the Seattle area. But it is aways best to hand pick your wood. So they know some stuff.

Another place to check is Crosscut Hardwoods in south Seattle just off of 4th ave south I think, they have a web site with contact info. Sometimes they have some really good woods at really good prices. I bought some good southern yellow pine 1x12's, some congona, and some nice mohogany from them in the past along with other woods. They also have a place in Portland.

Paul J

PDoug,

I would also endorse Eden Saw for materials. They are good people.

I wouldn't recommend the Sugar Pine for boat construction. It is too soft and prone to rot.

It is attractive and nice for building shelving and other interior uses.

There are much better choices for boat building.

Now, having said that, they may have select stock from old growth that is appropriate for a keel.

You might go to www.glenl.com and browse thru the materials for boatbuilding articles. Much good information.

This from the Glen-L website on appropriate woods for boat use.

PINE, WHITE

(Eastern white, Western white, ponderosa, & sugar pine)

25 to 28 lbs. per cubic foot, 2.08 to 2.33 lbs. per board foot

The several types of white pine are available in most of the United States, and grow in many sections of the country. While some types were once popular in boat building, their scarcity and the fact that only second growth stock is sometimes available makes most pine too weak and not durable for boat use. Decay resistance is moderate at best, and its use is best relegated to nonstructural interior joinerywork. These varieties are described to avoid confusion with the longleaf yellow pine type.

Give "Building Material Outlet" in Puyallup a try too. They have an unpredictable inventory, but I got my keel material there for a buck a foot! You had to pick through the stack a bit and figure where the cuts could avoid some certain knot, but for that price, I can do things like that. They're at 1300 East Main and 253-845-5666. Cap'n jake used them for a lot of his materials on "Fire Escape" and put me onto them. Good folks and very interested in the whole boat idea, too.

Cap'n jake used them for a lot of his materials on "Fire Escape" and put me onto them.

Steve, does this mean our boats would turn out as beautiful as his?

Hey, thanks all for the info. I hate to go 200+ miles and just wonder around in the big city trying to find likely places. Besides my horse gets tired. Now with you-alls help and mapquest I should be able to ride right to these places. Anyplace a person could pick up a bale of hay over there? :wink:

No guarantee on our boats looking like John's, but that's show biz. Or boat biz. I was just at BMO yesterday and they happily let me walk back into the stacks and pick out what I wanted. Though I walked out with two boards wider than I'd needed, at their prices I'm still ahead of the game.

As to hay, we have a feed store in Orting and one just down the street from BMO, though it is in Sumner by the time you get there. What octane hay do you need?

We got Timothy, 2nd cutting Alfalfa, local grass and Oat hay. Some nice comfy stalls and turnout areas so you can stretch you legs. Sweet water and some fine Oats for some extra sustenance. Heavens we even got warm water bathing facilities with forced air furnace to dry them off. Need a pedicure? Can do that too. Even got a good masseuse to work on those tired back muscles and sore legs and shoulders.

Sometimes I think the horses have got it better than we do. Ours were only asked to work an hour or two a day. And they got to travel a lot. :roll: :lol:

P Doug, I have conversed with Edensaw quite a bit. If your order is large enough, they will pay the freight. In my case, it would have been $1000 and free delivery to my dorstep. That was a few years back, and I never did make that order, as I changed boat plans.

I will be using Edensaw on the next project though.

Steve, If Building Materials Outlet is interested in the boat; maybe they can stash some of the good stuff for you! Never hurts to have friends in hte lumber yard! :)

ARRG! You just had to throw the PT festival out there, didn't you, ;) I don't think I will be done here to attend, bummer!

Next boat? It will be the Blue Jacket 24 as designed by Tom Lathrop. Check ou the small boats link on this forum to check it out. It is an incredible boat!!! :) :)

I'm planning on attending this year. Always a good show and lots of things to do building and wooden boating related. Well worth attending for the seminars alone, but the opportunity to see some of the best of the Nortwest's Wooden boats. Sail and power.

Port Townsend is one of the gems in the Northwest. :D

http://www.woodenboat.org/festival/

• 3 weeks later...

I just talked to Eden Saw in Port Angeles. The current price for 1x12 Fir is $6.82 lin ft. It turns out that at the current price I could almost buy two sheets of Maranti plywood for the price of one 1x12x14. Frankly, I was shocked. I guess it has been a long time since I bought wood like this. I am used to buying pine for shelving and other honey do's.

Does anyone feel the extra weight of the Hydra Tech Maranti will make any difference in the speed or handling of the boat when completed. The Okoume is just a little more expensive but lighter.

Tried to look at some past posts, but could find no real definitive direction

Thanks

Gaylen,

You might check out clear hemlock in 1X12 stock. I used it for my Weekender's keel and stringer stock. I found good clear reasonably priced stock at Lumbermen's. This isn't the same as hem-fir construction lumber. It is primarily used for trim stock. But they had 1X12 in 16' lengths and it proved to be good wood to work with. A couple of the other builders also used clear hemlock when they found the price of clear Doug fir too high.

I had thought about mahogany, but it was just as expensive as the Doug. Fir in the widths and lengths we needed.

I'm planning on using Kevlar tape on the bottom edge of the keel and up the stem a bit for impact/wear resistance.

I am not sure what kevlar tape is, but I do know that when my dad built his boat, he attached a strip of oak onto the keel. Where the scarf was needed, he made it fairly long, and screwed and glued it GOOD. In order to succeed the bend, I am thinking about making a piece of 1x2 into a 1/2x2 piece. Thinner would provide the protection for the keel, and still make the bend up a ways on the keel.

One would not have to go up very far on the front end to get the protection you need, and the keel strip would not have to go all the way back, just to where the keel begins to become shallower. Once the bondo is put on, you would never see it under the paint, and the keel would only be 1/2 inch deeper in that area.

Of course, this is all IMHO and I have not put it to the test as yet. The forums comments are welcome.. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I was just up in Port Townsend and talked to Lou at Eden Saw. Their prices are as you said, pretty good. they have some good alternatives for the keel, and many types of hardwood for finishing as well. Their price on white oak was major good, but they do not have extra long pieces of that.

It would be worth it for you to go up and take a look at all they have. Lou is familiar with the boat now, and has an idea of what we need. They even have the marine plywood Okume in 5'x10' sizes in case you want to avoid patching the bottom. Of course one panel is $120 a sheet.

It was a very enlightening experience. Be sure you look at the purple heartwood for the keel.By the way, is there any reason the keel should be restricted to 3x 3/4 width boards. Once they plane the boards, they could be thicker, like 7/8. Is thicker ok?