"Leap Of Faith" Get's 1ST Salt Water Bath In Gulf

Patrick Briley

Loaded up the family on Saturday the 16th of Aug 2003 and headed 2 hours south to Tyndall AFB in Panama City, Florida. Hit the Base Marina (behind the housing area where we use to live 6years ago) at about 3p.m. Had our boat in the water and motoring out of the marina by 3:30p.m. No problems getting out into the middle of the bay, as it's about 1.5 miles across to Crooked Island (which is the barrier Island that runs parallel to the coast). So technically we're still in protected waters right....Not! Wind is coming directly off the Gulf of Mexico over the top of the 1/4 mile wide breaker island... Point the bow into the wind, hoist the Jib, hoist the Main, tack off to leeward and sailing becomes a new experience. This ain

Looks fantastic Rick, I'm sure the kids enjoyed the experience. I know how mine reacted to their first big "Saltwater Sailing" adventure. They were hooked.

Great experience for all. Would love to sail in those waters one of these days. Ours is a little cold for general swimming most of the time.

Looking forward to more recounting of your sailing adventures. And photos, we need lots and lots of photos! :lol:

Great story and the picture could be used in any upscale tourist brochure for going somewhere to catch a sunburn on the beach. Only, this is an example of how one can have fantastic fun without paying through the nose. Thanks for sharing your day :!: :D

Guest bob taylor

OUTSTANDING!!! I've been TDY to Tyndal many times over the years and it's a great place to ply in the water. Your story makes me want to call in sick for the day and go sailing in the 98 degree heat!! Did any dolphins chase you in the bay?