Epoxy Paste, Tiga 321

Arnie Eaton

Ran across an ad at the classified section selling the above subject paste. Has anyone ever used this product? A guy named "Dale Bennion" in Utah is selling a 3 gal bucket of this stuff, fiberglass filled epoxy, for $30 + shipping. Hardener is included. Sounds almost too good to be true. He says he sells a lot of it on E-Bay. Here's his e-mail address, benniondale@hotmail.com

Well I bit the bullet and bought the paste just to see what it is and how it works. Did some experiments with it and it works great. It mixs 2 parts epoxy to one part harderner by weight. It has a long set up time, about 6 to 7 hours at 25c or 77f. Can be faster if heated with a hair dryer or heat gun. Very easy to use. I tried verious angles and thickness of bead using a ziplock bag with the corner cut off. Again this method worked very well with very good control of the heavyness of the bead. I do recommend this product for (1) cheap price, (2) easy too mix, (3) long working time, and (4) CHEAP PRICE. I do recommend that when using any epoxy product that you use some sort of protective gloves. According to the spec sheets, it becomes very, very strong after setup.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well I bit the bullet and bought the paste just to see what it is and how it works.

Arnie, did you continue on to use this stuff on your boat? I may buy some for the fillets and for filling gaps. It sounds like it would work much better than bondo, since it would add strength to the joint instead of just fill it. How thick is it? Is is wet enough to squeeze into a 1/16" crack?

I contacted the seller and his price has gone up to $40 + $25 shipping, but for 3 gallons of the stuff it's still a pretty good deal.

Tom

Guest Anonymous

Yes, I did use it for most of my fillets all over the boat. Gets very hard so as you fill with it, do a good job of smoothing it out. Tounge depressers and popcycle sticks work great.

I just bought a 3 gallon bucket of the stuff. I'll use it to fillet and most importantly strengthen everything that is glued. Basically i'm going to fillet as much as possible. This should take care of the small keel gaps too. I can fill the gap with fiberglass resin, and then reinforce with a fillet of this epoxy paste. I may even use this instead of the 5200. After all, I'll have 3 gallons of it to use up. Not bad for 65 bucks.

Think I could use this stuff instead of weldwood? I ran out of weldwood today when doing my cabin.

Tom