the launch of the Diane G!

captjack

let me see.....

Friday night cant sleep.....go check the boat at 2 am.....yes all is well....

Saturday morning....get to boat ramp and oh no!!! about 2/3 's of my staff have showed up for this!

My son and I get the mast set and the rigging complete and ready.

I look around one more time.... nice wind coming off the lake..

I guess its time.... my wife.. ( the orig. Diane G.) steps up to the bow...

bottle in hand " chresten this boat the Diane G." !!! The cork flys from the bottle and over the bow... champane flows over her bow.... she is now and forever the Diane G. ! Wife takes big drink from the bottle .... straight up the nose it goes!......... All have a good laugh over this as she turns to spit all over herself and the parking lot!

now the moment we all have been waiting for! we back down the ramp..

the back of the boat starts to float.....

now the boat is off the trailer and in the lake....

SHE FLOATS!!!!!!!!!!

on her frist trip out was myself , Austin ( my grandson) , Matthew,Michael

my other sons.

she sails great! need to work on getting the wind in the sails better...

and the wind was not working to well at times. change and stop...stop change. was a little hard to get the direction down at times.

however ...... all who wanted to ride did.....

we kept her on the go until about 2 pm... Michael and I had lunch on the water in the middle of the lake. Wind died! Michael said now what? Me being the captain that I am I said LUNCH!!! 8)

sailed around alittle more .

Big Black Cloud came and started to rain ... we motor back put her on the trailer and came home....

What a great day....

:D

Hardy congrats! You did get pictures, right? That must be as thrilling as the first child being born. You did a great thing building the boat, trust me your kids will never forget what their dad did. When I was young, I told my dad I wanted a little row boat. He said he would match what I earned to buy the lumber. A couple month later we bought some plywood, over the weekend he whipped out the nicest little 12' rowboat you could want. No plans or anything. I am still in awe 50 years later.

Guest Anonymous

Wonderful! What good news to hear of another boat on the water. Now the real fun begins. To get a better feel of the wind you might want to get a wind direction indicator(weather vane) for the top of the mast. It has a pointer and two markers to show you the "dead" zone. You could also use some little pieces of yarn tied to the shrouds to show you how the wind is blowing. Now, go out and have fun!!!

Congrats!! Wish I could have been there! Are you going to come sail with us on Pymatuning weekend after next? Get to sail with some other weekenders, a vacationer, and a pocket cruiser. Afterwards, we will sit around the campfire and tell tall sea tails!!