Home improvement update OT

capt jake

Speaking of piles of material; I am nearing the end of the siding project on the house. I have huge piles of old siding and debris all over teh yard, while my pile of new material is dwindling. I will probably have to buy another 100 pieces of siding to finish. I think I am almost 3/4 of the way done. :)

Contrator is 'supposed' to be here today to set forms and pour concrete slab and patio tomorrow. :) Then he will start on Monday to finish 'fixing' my addition that wasn't built right in the first place (prior to my purchase).

I have installed dropped soffit on the house, it sure dresses it up. I am also intalling Hrdieplank siding (fibrous cement). Different stuff to work with. It looks good when it is up. but it is very brittle and unforgiving to work with. :)

I hope to be ready for paint by labor day, then the roof in mid September (I hope there are no monsoon's between now and then). :) :)

Later!!!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the forms are all set and 10 yds of mud are scheduled to be here in about and hour. :) :)

SWMBO threw another change order at me the other day. Another extended soffit to provide a 7 foot patio cover. :) Got most of it framed last night after helping set the forms and spread 5 yds of pea gravel. :0

I'm beat.....

At least teh entry is all completed. :)

Have fun!

Well, the concrete was poured, and the exposed agregate did not turn out as expected. the contractor and I are mulling over the options. :(

He will be here tommorrow to complete the small addition and tie in the roof where it had way too many valleys before (thus, the leak that started this whole thing).

We have decided to extend the dropped soffit over the new patios, thus an additional 6' of covered are. Hard to describe, i will have to post some picture later.

I am off the Dr again tommorrow, more x-rays and evaluation of my wrist. I haven't done poo today because of the pain in my wrist and the bursitis in my shoulder. :(

computer stuff really hurts as well, thus my excessive typos . Arms going numb now.

Take care. :) :)

Jake,

I am not sure about Washington, but here in Texas, the trend is to have LOTS of wall protrusions, and therefore LOTS of angles on the roof. Which means LOTS of valleys.

I hate them.

My favorite roof is a hip roof with 4 surfaces (front, back, left and right).... no valleys.

Next house.....

Looks like you still have some work to do, but you are getting closer!

Hey look, an opening for the boat shed! :wink:

Yup, more work to do yet. The siding is on all of the other sides though! I have added some Cedar trim here and there to dress it up a bit.

Contractor is due here any minute and a buddy from Jersey will be here to assist with calking and priming teh new Cedar.

BTW, notice teh horrible mauve, purple and teal color scheme? Yuk!! The tan color siding on the left is the new Hardie plank , that is teh pre-primed color.

Opening for teh boat shed? Fortunately I have a separate shop for that with this house, though it needs paint and calking really bad also. :)

Hari Kari, no; but the arguements with the wife are increasing. That is a bummer!

I hope to be done with construction and siding in 10 days, then paint and roof! :)

SIGH, then we have to go inside and put in wood floors and finish the interior of the 'leaky' room that caused all of this excess work. :)

It will be great when it is all done. Does that ever happen????? :);)

Hari Kari' date=' no; but the arguements with the wife are increasing. That is a bummer![/quote']

I have always heard that is a marriage can survive building a house or having one built it can survive anything. I built mine, have lived here for 21 years and there are things I still hear about routinely. Like the unfinished laundry room. Why does a laundry room need to be finished? It's in the basement. It is more important that my workroom get finished, right? :roll: I love her anyway (I guess)

Well at least all of teh framing is complete.

Roofer to come out tomorrow to paper and batten the roof until he can get here in 3 weeks.

I have to finish soffits and siding on the recent addition. I hope to be ready for the painter next weekend, after I find a bank to rob (KIDDING!), as the funds have disappeared.

It will look great when done.