Tin Bin getting wet!

styge

Hi All,

It's taken me my third trip out in the Tin Bin to remember to take the bloody camera with me! I get so jazzed that I'm heading out, that I forget it, til I'm out in the middle of the channel! Anyway, the boat sits beautifully, and perfectly level. I was a little worried about that! It's not nose or tail heavy and clips along at half throttle with it's brand new 4HP four stroke Suzuki at 7mph! Going over half throttle doesn't yield much more speed than that, so I guess I've found "hull speed" I am hoping it will sail on the plain faster than that. I will end up getting slightly bigger sails through Graham, when I'm ready. I do hope this picute attachments works, this is my first attempt with it.

Regards

Styge Smith

Juneau, Ak

Tin Bin's Papa

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Pretty neat, I must say. This is another great example of alternatives, when you build your own boat, that can be done to personalize your boat. Enjoy. and one more question that my wife ask, and that would be how many months do you guys get in on the water up there? We keep seeing more and more folks from Alaska on many of the boat related forums, so thought it to be the time to ask this question.

Thanks for posting the pictures, can never be too many pictures.

Beautiful boat and it looks like a great job was done. I aways look at the welding and marvel. Nice welded joint always impress me. Like art work.

Can't wait to see pictures with sail on it.

My one question: how cold can it get before you can no longer sit in that boat? You might with that boat stuck to your seat until the next spring thaw!

Guest Anonymous

Well, how many months you can use your boat really depends on how hardcore a fisherman you are! The sailing guys tend to quit during October, and start up again during April. The overwhelming majority of baot owners up here belong to the fishing fraternity, so it's not uncommon to see a boat out in the channel mid winter if its a mild day (temp n the mid to high 30's) You just have to watch out for ice build up!

As for my seats, I have a couple of floatation cushions to sit on, and may end up making custom fitted cushions running most the the seat length, still undecided about that.

All in all, the welding turned out great. There are a few wrinkles here and there, and in places I tried to compensate with Loctite's Aluminum filler. You can never guarantee just how if at all a plate will bend under the heat applied to the seam, so you have to stitch weld it, inside and out, and come back to fill in the gaps to help spread the heat build up along the entire seam. But, filler and a good grinder work wonders!

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Well Ray,

Gen the complete lack of of sandy coastline, except for two small stretches, and that Juneau sits in the middle of a temperate rain forest, wood didn't seem like a viable option. As for the sheet, it wasn't cheap, I was making good money that year.  I haven't checked, but I dread to think what it would cost now, with the way all raw material cost have soared in the past few years.