Hello From Dothan Alabama!

Patrick Briley

I'm Active Duty Air Force (MSGT, 22years Time In Service) stationed here in Dothan, Alabama. I currently work as a Technical Advisor to a Combat Communication Air National Guard unit for HQAFSOC (Headquarters Air Force Special Operations Command) out of Hurlburt Field Florida. Just recently returned home from Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom

First off, thank you very much for your service to this country. Welcome back. Congratulations on your completed project. And I will, also second your comment about this is the greatest bunch of folks on an online forum, that I have experienced on the internet. :)

Welcome aboard. That is a great looking boat. Thank you for your many years service to our great country. This is the best forum I have ever participated in, now it is the only one. Seems like the others always had some silly bickering going on between people that had probably never even met each other in person.

What Oyster said and congratulations. She's a fine looking vessel. You should be proud.

re: your comment about meeting people because of your boat. I have found the same thing. I wonder what I should do next to keep all those folks coming around.

Welcome indeed, your presence among this group is affirming the quality of the people that make up this wonderful forum.

Much appreciation for your many years of service Master Sargent. It takes dedication and commitment to continue to serve.

Nice looking Weekender. It is gratifying to me to know that so many great projects are out there and that there are a bunch of builders that just read and incorporate some of the ideas and solutions to challenges that are discussed here.

NIce to hear from you, now get that hull wet and post lots of photos and report on how she handles for you. 8)

Thank you for your efforts overseas. Your boat looks fantastic. I like the color scheme, and I must say that sinking 650 hours into a years time with the boat is very impressive. I'm half way through my second year, and haven't found a third of that time to invest.

Enjoy the fruits of your labors. By the way, which other boat(s) have you built?

Patrick,

congratulations on building an excellent example of the Weekender. She is awesome. Love the colors.

I also thank you for your commitment to our country! Without you, there would be much more fighting here, instead of over there. Let's keep war where it should be, away from our soil!

Phil

I'll echo everyone else's comments thanking you for your service. We may not always act like it in this country, but we do appreciate you guys!

And, what a great album of pictures you uploaded. Everyone should take at look at the Leap of Faith Album here in the messing-about.com photo gallery. Some great detail shots.

I do have one question, though. How did you get your First Mate to stand in the corner like that? I'll have to show that one to my wife ....

Welcome aboard MSgt. I"m retired USAF with 23 years. Nice looking little ship. I see you got sails from Ulta Sail. I'm still waiting for my main sail for my Vacationer "Wind Song". Paul should be settled soon and get busy on it. I too thank you for your service to all of us. Arnold E Eaton, 1st Lt, USAF Retired, Arnie for short.

Thanks to everyone for the warm "Welcome Aboard"....

It's great to be back, (please continue to remember our other brothers and sisters in all the services that are still serving abroad).

Yes, please call me Rick, MSGT is much too stuffy :salute:

I figured I've been looking at everyone else's pictures for the last year, so I needed to post some "eye candy" as a "Thanks" for theirs...

Frank, in reference to the question you asked as stated:

"I do have one question, though. How did you get your First Mate to stand in the corner like that? I'll have to show that one to my wife .... "

Two simple rules needed here in order to get this accomplished:

1. Catch them with their makeup off.

2. Tell them that you have your camera... and your not afraid to use it.

This is where they usually run and hide on you, I never told her to stand in the corner....honest ladies!

Guard these rules closely and never let them know... or it won't work. 8)

Stuart ,

As far as the colors go: plan was, I build and she decorates. Pretty risky business proposition, as the color schemes have changed numerous times after each application. I like to think of it as, a heavy primer(s) coating prior to final selection... Tope I believe is what it is called not green as I've been told :?

I didn't mean that I had built other boats as much as I had built wooden furniture and other office and studio furniture in Hobby Shops that we have on our Air Force Bases. Corner hutches, china cabinets, etc...

I did start on a restoral project as a senior in High School back in 1982. My neighbor had a sailboat in his field that he gave to me and I started cleaning it up and restoring it but then joined the service and it was never finished. Sad but true, I believe it went up in smoke :( (mother had it broken up and burned)

Craig, I was stationed at Tyndall AFB in Panama City Florida for 3 years (97-00) and was selected as a non volunteer (by the Air Force) to come up to Dothan Alabama 90 miles north of where I was, and to be on Special Duty as an Active Duty Air Force Advisor to the Air National Guard. Great opportunity, been here 2 & 1/2 years on a 4 year controlled tour. Great little family town! Yes prop jocks can be sailors as well!!!

Yes I'd like to visit you there in Fort Walton Beach, I work out of the Hurlburt Field Special Operations Headquarters Building and usually come down and visit once a quarter. I have checked out the local ramps in the Ft Walton, Destin area, but would like to see the Eglin boat launch as well. I'll let you know when we plan to get it salted down... we're still fresh watering it up here in Dothan.

:D:D:D Hay Rick,

So is this is an upgrade from model sailplanes you built in the backyard......I hear you are very well at playing "Empire Builder" :shock: Did the boys help out at all.

I know this is killing you trying to figure out who this is. Well the Washington weather has been really great to us. Our weekender, Jumbilani, is still in the garage being worked on. I was hoping to get it done for this season, but one of the family is graduating from HS this next year, so we went to Europe for a 3 week vacation. Boy old pall, there is a lot of katccatchingto do. I can't believe you have been watching the board for over a year and have not e-mailed me. I can tell we were great friends....

B, in Puyallup....... :D

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

"Empire Buider & Prattville" havn't been the same since you and your family made their trek to the West coast.

Great to hear from you again, last we heard, you were still in Washington State, Diane trys to keep touch with folks via email every now and then....

Send me an email, it's in my members profile and we'll chat....

Rick,

Frank' date=' in reference to the question you asked as stated:

"I do have one question, though. How did you get your First Mate to stand in the corner like that? I'll have to show that one to my wife .... "

Two simple rules needed here in order to get this accomplished:

1. Catch them with their makeup off.

2. Tell them that you have your camera... and your not afraid to use it.

This is where they usually run and hide on you, I never told her to stand in the corner....honest ladies!

Guard these rules closely and never let them know... or it won't work. 8)

[/quote']

Sneaky, underhanded and diabolical! I like it! :lol::lol: