thoughts on the Diane G.

captjack

Don't let it get to you. If all you have left is putting her on the trailer and rigging, you're almost home. Don't forget to check tongue weight with the boat in loaded-for-travel trim.

We're close behind you with Julie K. Almost all the rigging had been done before painting the deck and cabin. I did that so I could avoid drilling into screws. It also allowed me to make sure that I drilled into solid wood in places where I used screws.

Now, we have a bit of touch-up painting on the boat, the seats and rudder need paint and we need to finish the rigging. Most of the hardware has been reinstalled. Just need to attach the chainplates and then the mast can go back on. After that, it won't fit through my garage door so it will get parked outside from then on.

Keep plugging. You'll get there.

It's a three horse race. :D

Suaimhneas is nearing completion. I finished the cabin and fore hatches, and put on the non-skid (coat of epoxy, playsand, vacuum off, and seal with a coat of epoxy) last week.

I have to paint the deck, cabin top, and cockpit, varnish the spars, set up the rigging, and make the sails. Plus the loads of little jobs that will spring to mind that I've forgotten. :roll:

I hope to be in the water mid-August, wife willing.

Suaimhneas

Ken, you're right, it's Gaelic.

It's pronounced SUVNESS

I was pondering for quite some time on a name. I am not alone here I'll bet, as it is probably one of the most important things (in my opinion) about the boat.

After all, if you have built it, it embodies part of what you are, feel, or believe in. (OK I'll lighten up again - it's Monday morning, and it's raining).

It can be translated to mean a feeling of peace, or calm. And it's the sort of feeling that descends on me when I'm in the middle of the harbour, with a light breeze, sitting back with the Sun setting, sailing past Cobh with the cathedral off port, and Haulbowline Island off starbord. Off the stern you can see Monkstown, and the entrance to the Lee River, and off the bow, the harbour mouth and beyond.