sailing day (long)

Capn Trey

I had a great morning sailing in the Grand Bay NERR/ NWR on Bayou Heron and Grand Bay. I launched Nokoni at eight-thirty under partly cloudy skies, and surprisingly a northwest wind around 12 knots. I expected to have to rely on the motor to beat my way out the bayou against the predicted southwest winds and was delighted to be able to sail all the way out to the bay. I sailed southwest across the bar and out into Middle Bay where I had to repair the motor lifting rig. Once the repair was completed I sailed east off the southern coasts of Long and Big Island to Barton Island. I anchored off the shell mound on the island intending to go ashore hunting pottery shards. I stayed ashore just long enough to take a few pictures before the yellow files ran me back aboard. Anchored about fifty yards off the island protected from the yellow flies by a steady west-northwest wind I stopped for lunch. As I ate, a haze began to obscure the view of the point a couple of miles to the east and the wind began coming more out of the west than northwest. Knowing this a sure sign of impending bad weather, I decided to take a short cut back by motoring across a shallow section between Barton and Big Island. I have sailed across the area before but one time I sailed up on a bar in the same area and had to get out and push. Not wanting to run the risk of finding that bar again with bad weather approaching, I opted for a slow crossing on the motor. After reaching deeper water, I raised sail. The wind was really blowing as I started on a starboard tack heading back to the bayou mouth. I don

Okay Cap'n Trey! You Salty Dog!

I just got off work for a few days, I am going sailing too. Got to try out the new wheel.

Great story of a great sail, you got me in the mood.

My wife just got back from the east coast. She brought me a hat that says Captain on it in signal flags 8) But the nifty gift was the Boatswain's Call (whistle) I'll definately have to go sailing to practice, otherwise I will drive everybody nuts.

Glad you had a good time, keep us posted on any other adventures please.

Mike

Hi Mike, The whistle is called a pipe. Used one for years as a Sea Scout when I lived at Everett Wa on Puget Sound. I had a silver one but lost it over 50 years ago. Have fun with it and learn what each call means. There are six calls, Word To Be Passed( all must be silenced so as to hear a command or order), Boat Call( piped to order a boat away), Veer(used to call side boys), All Hands(to assemble all hands), Pipe Down(Dismissal from ceremonies), and Piping The Side(To accompany side honors). You might be able to find a old Sea Scout or Sea Exployer manual in a second hand store somewhere. The calls are there and how to do them.