Launched Sanddragon

Pat Mellema

Yesterday evening I got Sanddragon out on the water. It was nice going out of the marina. When we got out at the lake there was absolutely no wind. we motored out to where we could see a little ripple in the water. The boat picks up on almost no wind. We sailed for a few minutes and decided we should head back. The wind picked up and we were moving along leaving a wake. Unfortunately the wind was coming directly out from where we were headed. I learned how to tack and we made good time. When we started up the chanel to the marina the battery died. I was thinking and put my canoe paddles in before I left. we ended up paddling the last mile. This morning I found my arm is a bit stiff from using muscles that haven't been used like that for a long time. I am thinking I am going to have to make some oars to row with.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Robert

This was the first time on the water. The battery is the one I have been using for a couple of years. I had it for powering my canoe that I use for fishing. The next time I go out it will be with a spare battery as it is not that easy to paddle the weekender. It moves ok but is much heaver than the canoe.

Nice looking Weekender Pat. I like the choice of colors.

Sounds like you had a good time despite the lack of wind and having to paddle a ways.

Yes...you will want to go over all the fittings on the rigging and tape up any ends that could chafe on the sail fabric or get caught on it. Especially aloft. Check ends of bolts as well. Any that protrude and can catch on other rigging or the sails will ultimately do just that.

Trim off excess wire were not needed and then wrap with electricians tape.