Signing Off

Paul J

Well it's time to sign off before they shut off the phone today. I am moving myself and Ulta Sail to Kentucky for business reasons. It's just a bit of a drive I reckon about 2500 miles. Wish me luck and good weather for the trip.

I will be back as soon as I can with a new place. Be good, be cool, and have fun.

Paul J

Thanks a lot Paul. Where is my main sail I paid for over two years ago. I guess you didn't get my phone message this morning. I need it NOW so I can rig all the rigging. You could have at least let me know your running off to a foreign land. If anyone thinks this is a joke, well it's not. Help someone out when he's down and out and this is the thanks I get. I'm pissed.

I have been following this for the last 2 years and Paul is the only one who knows what is up with this. Arnie is telling the truth, he paid for the sails and has never recieved them. It makes me feel like a sucker for recomending his sails. Come on Paul, this ain't right.

Yeah, what's with that? I was getting ready to cut a check for sails, but now I'm not so sure. Is Paul a hobbyist, a business, or a scam? I hate to assume the worst about anyone I don't know, but two years is more than a bit of lead time. Who else has had experience with Ulta Sails and how has it been?

Paul, what are you doing moving to Kentucky? Sounds like you'll loose valuable coast contacts.

Three years ago I purchased one of Paul's kits. Most of you probably don't even know that he had that option. Last fall I ordered a loose footed dacron main, jib and lapper from Paul J. I was told that winter was the slow time and that I should get them before sailing season. I got them this spring just as I had hoped. They're well made and I am perfectly satisfied with them. He was helpful and gave me advice about how to set them up. My assumption was that Paul made his sails on a first in - first out system. I feel a little guilty getting my sails before some one who ordered them 2 years ago.

Arnie, is it possible with your boat still in progress that a definite completion date was up in the air? I like to think well of everyone and would hope that someone we all know would not deliberately deceive another of us.

OK, So I got a little hot under the collar. Yes I paid Paul for my sails about two years ago, knowing I would not need them until this year. Paul needed some help at that time. I got the jib early this year and wanted the main last month. I have talked with Paul two or three months ago and he said he would get right on the project. Not a word since. Now it will be serval months before he can get it put together I'M sure. I did know Paul was looking for new digs but was unaware he had found a place. Don't get me wrong, Paul does build great sails and I've heard he does deliver mostly on time. It's just that in my case somehow the delivery fell thru a crack. Don't let my experience with Ulta Sails cause you to not buy from Paul. Paul does not like to deliver sails too far ahead of the need. In this regard I feel he is wrong. His feeling is that the sails will get messed up if they lay around to long before being bended onto the boat. This should not be his concern but the concern of the buyer.

Guest Craig Bursell

I talked to Paul before he left for Kentucky. He has shipped his sail materials ahead, and is hauling his sail making equipment in his truck.

I have seen the workmanship on his sails and it looked excellent. My Vacationer won't be ready until August, so I am hoping the sails I ordered will be ready by then. I am sailing a Skipjack with polytarp sails that are ok, but I was hoping to get some better sails from Paul. I still believe he will deliver after he gets settled.

Paul said he would be back in communication with everyone in about two weeks. He said his web site would be kept up.

We will all be waiting to here from him.

Arnie,

I don't think Paul is going out of business, obviously there is more going on than we are aware of in his life. Though not a personal friend of Paul, and only an occasional howdy on the board, I have been a customer. I purchased a set of Vacationer sails three summers ago, he was prompt. I recently requested some help with a small sail repair, it took a bit, but he sent me what I needed at no charge.

Reading between the lines, as I do with many of the participants of the forum, a person can get a sense where people are at on life's little road. Maybe there are stressing factors, personal ones that are governing the way things are. Myself, I like to know whats going on, so I certainly can understand where your coming from. We all know how we like to be treated, and it is upsetting when we get our toes stepped on. GRRR!

Let's hope for the best, as said above, no one wants to see anyone taken advantage of. It would be suicide to any business that was unscrupulous enough to do so. Simply because we would tell the whole world :roll:

And even though Grumpy Paul, thinks I can't spell, and your hanging out on a limb for a couple of weeks, I want to think right about the guy. It may be true that nice guys finish last, Arnie, but at least we finish. Stay in touch.

Mike

Sorry about my being upset about Paul's move. I knew he was looking for a place. We go back to the days when the BYYB was formed. We were both charter members and both became disenchanted at about the same time. He does make a great suit of sails and the price is right also. I guess things just came apart sooner then he thought it would. So for all you builders out there, go to ultasail.com and order those sails now.

I suppose i should chime in here. He e-mailed me a week or so back and told me to call him regarding my sails. He was concerned about getting them to me by my 'supposed' launch date. i paid for teh sales back in December when he had the sale. Anyway, when I talked to him he assured me that they would be in hte mail bay about teh 3-7 of july. Which is fine, as I don't see me getting out of my tool bags any time soon.

He didn't tell me where he was moving, though he mentioned it.... but i am confidant that I will have my sails soon.

I have seen his work and it looks very good to me. He is very precise in what he does.

I know he prioritizes orders by need (meaning completion date), so i have no problem (thus far) in waiting, as i am not ready yet (thoug I would LOVE to be in hte water VS hammering!!) :) :)

Pardon the spelling Jo, I have a recent case of carpenter fingers! :)

I am sure he will post regarding this as soon as he is settled. I know that he has shipped everything ahead to his destination and plans on continueing the sail business. :)

well it sounds like the arnie thing is an abberation. other testimonials have restored my faith in paul. i think if i knock off a couple more liquor stores ill be ready to order....btw arnies kinda crazy too. i remeber after he made his mast hoops using those wooden beads he had some left over and offered them to anyone who could use them FOR FREE!!!!!! ( ive got them in my garage) =)

tores, ill be ready to order.........

Delayed Gratiication!

Repressed Desires!

Too Respomsible!

Yes Dear!

All very good!! :D Repressed Desires works. Too much to do here, you know how one thng leads to another. Looking at remodeling teh room that had teh roof leak to make it less likely to leak in teh future, of course that leads into a new roof. Do dah do dah...

This issue has already been calmed down, as I can understand. Still, since there are more people around reading and wondering I just feel like adding my share: I have bought sailes two times. Both times I got the sails ahead of time (compared to when I needed them) and payment, communication and supplied product were all OK!!

Personally, I would not hesitate buying again. :D:D

I'm sure Paul will make good, there's no question about that. This move is probably the break he was looking for. Everyone makes a mistake every now and then, afterall he's gotta be only human...

Give the guy a week or two to get settled in and the sails will be coming.

I don't think there's any reason to get frustrated over an move... As long as it's not to AbhuDhabi :-) (spelling?)

Cheers