weekender plan question

richard

On page 6 - illustration 4 of the weekender bottom they state that the overall bottem length is 155 3/4 inch.

When I make the total I arrive at 159 1/2 inch (13 x 12 +2 1/4 + 1 1/4)

Where that difference and what is correct?

What are the correct measurements between station 13 and 14?

According the drawing it is 2 1/4 but i suspect it to be 2 1/4 + 1 1/4

Richard

This is copied shamelessly from Terry Crisp's MSN site called Sandbars and Driftwood. I hope No one minds but it does explain the problem.

Station 13

There is a common error made when lofting the hull bottom at station 13. The plans are not in error, however it is easy to misread exactly where the 2-1/4" is to be measured. The first photo from the plans shows a line between the arrows where the 2-1/4" is shown. To loft this station correctly you measure 2-1/4" from station 13 toward station 14. You make a mark there and set a nail. This is the rear of the hull bottom. Then measure 1-1/4" towards the BOW and draw the 16-5/8" station line. Set nails at those outboard points and draw the curve for the transom.

fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetPubPhoto&PhotoID=nJgDAD2EKlp8symjTP9!4HwcR8dvLCXVFrgQU2DaplPty5yM35SjV9pommN1MWWAqt6RjrblB6H8

In the next photo I have removed the line that seems to cause this error. Most builders associate that middle station line as the place to set the 2-1/4" mark, but the arrows indicate otherwise. Notice the change:

fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetPubPhoto&PhotoID=nJgAjGYUK1qOqQ8YHznDrtHD*xJ4fH91l3BMwiCBF5jruFFuN9PSTOBopRupY!KtWaNCPKGDjd!E

When lofted and cut out correctly the hull bottom will measure 155-3/4". We arrive at this with this math. 13 station lines = 156". Add 2-1/4" for the transom curve as shown above. This gives us 158-1/4" You cut 2 1/2" off the bow as shown in the plans so you end up at 155 3/4". I hope this helps someone with this tricky part of the plans

There aren't too many other things like that. One that I can think of has to do with the mast box and the forward bulkhead. The angle shown in the plans is measured between the bottom of the boat and the front of the mast box, however the angle of the mast box is set by the angle of the bulkhead. Before you install that bulkhead, cut a scrap of plywood to the total front-to-back dimension of the mast box. If you make it in the form of a T, it can be clamped to the bulkhead while tou are installing it. You can then use a bevel guage between the bottom and front edge of your "jig" to adjust the angle.

By the way, I redrew the Station 13 area with dimensions placed to hopefully clarify things a bit more.

sta13.GIF

• 5 years later...

It's been awhile, but I think the length listed for one of the halyards is wrong.  Might be the peak halyard.  In any event it's worth buying some cheap clothesline to get the right lengths for all running rigging on your boat.  Then go and buy the right length of line.

I just re-did the Weekender Plans FAQ, part of my re-design of messing-about.com.  The articles are all linked from the home page now, so they are easier to find.  The search function also works better on the home page (enter "Weekender" to see all the content about Weekenders). 

The other common thing is when you measure the length of the keel from the stem to the stern blocks.  If you haven't put the deadwood in place the measurement is off by a couple of inches.  And the measurements for the deadwood are confusing in the plans.  The FAQ describes it, but its best to have the plans open when you're reading the explanation. 

I think the best thing to do is to leave the stern blocks off, and leave the keel a little long.  Put the stern blocks on after you have fit the bottom, and you're "building to fit" rather than just building to the plans.