Randy Jones

I'm considering using a 55lb cast iron anvil to moor my CS17 in a very sheltered bay with rock bottom.  The $65 price and lack of shipping costs is attractive. This would be a temporary illicit mooring until I can navigate the permitting situation for a legal mooring properly augured into the seafloor out in deeper water.  I would not be leaving the boat unattended - I'd be nearby where I could watch it crash into the rocks.  I need to do some review of the bottom if we every get a daylight low tide, but it looks like a bedrock slab with loose rock , boulders, and perhaps a thin layer of mud as you get deeper. 

Questions

1. I'm thinking that on a rock bottom I've got to go for dead weight and not expect to catch or dig into anything  (not that an anvil would anyway).  Is that how it works?

2. My particular location is watched very closely by "concerned citizens" which could lead to the State impounding the mooring.  Anyone see a cheaper alternative other than 100lb rocks?

3. Would 2 or 3 of these make a respectable mooring?

thanks

A small block Chevy was the usual choice when I was a younger lad, though they frown on this now, in spite of how degreased and  pressure washed it might have been. For occasional or temporary use a single anvil will do, but two if you expect it to tolerate modest storms. Drop the puppy on a moonless night, say around 3:00 am, for added security.

• 3 weeks later...