Painting

Scott Dunsworth

A friend just sent me these links, thought I would share them. Painting seems to cause a lot of anxieties some times.

We have been working on some videos about the process that are just being released (this morning actually).  We now have eliminated the tipping part of the "roll and tip" method, which we have found to be unnecessary when using our paint (this greatly simplifies the process).  Below are the links.  Just paste them into your browser and have a look!

Surface Prep -        https://vimeo.com/252520023
Primer App. -        https://vimeo.com/252553405
Finish Coat App. -    https://vimeo.com/252757344

Joel Valley
70 Water Street,
Thomaston, Maine
207-354-0804 
Epifanes North America Inc.

I used System 3 waterbased Linear polyurethane.  At first, I swore up and down that I would never use this again.  Now, two years later, I can tell you that the boat still looks as if I painted it yesterday.  It is kept outdoors in the Northeast USA, and is only partially covered with a tarp.  This stuff holds up extremely well!!! 

11 hours ago, smccormick said:

You can use most of the two part paints below the waterline, they just can't soak for extended periods.   I think two week is the limit of the paint I use.

11 hours ago, Dnjost said:

I used System 3 waterbased Linear polyurethane.  At first, I swore up and down that I would never use this again.  Now, two years later, I can tell you that the boat still looks as if I painted it yesterday.  It is kept outdoors in the Northeast USA, and is only partially covered with a tarp.  This stuff holds up extremely well!!! 

I agree with both.

My Lapwing is 3 seasons used and the S3 is still in great shape.  It is not nearly as shiny as solvent based, but I like semi-gloss.  As my boat is lapstrake I brushed the hull.  I did end up painting the bilge in a 1 part poly as when I leave the boat outside during the summer some times the puddles I get, even with the bailer open can be an issue.   Next time I will try the mini-roller.

My Spindrift is Awlgrip, the entire hull is painted and then hard bottom paint on the bottom.  I have left it in the water at the dinghy dock for 6 months with no issues.

Paint can be a subject like brands of tools. Folks get dug it and it takes a chlorine bomb to get them out of the trench's.  I'm that way for sure. I don't have experience with other brands of two part, but I do with Epiphanes. It just seems to flow out very well and has incredible gloss to it. After going through the one part marine paints thing, I would never paint anything I was going to keep with anything else but two part. Interior of a cabin is a different story, two or one part will be fine there. I have had rust stains and bird decoration's that just scrub right off of two part, that would be a permeant part of the boat with even the high end one part paints.

I've made the mistake of trying to save a few bucks on the finish, never again will that happen. To much time and dollars go into these boats we build, to cut costs at the end, just to have to do it all over in a couple of years. If you aren't going to use the boat very much and keep it in a garage you may get good results from one part.

I'm just trying to give the first timer a little boost to spend the extra 1/3 to 1/2 in dollars,  paint money on the real thing the first time.:) You will not be sorry.

Two part is not anymore toxic than one part if it isn't SPRAYED So just do it right the first time and enjoy.

• Like 1