SHAD FRAME QUESTION

DGW

My Shad frame is finished and, given this is my first (but not last SOF) I am very pleased with it.

However, I notice that the gunwales do not continue to sweep up smoothly all the way to the bow. The gunwales take a slight downward deviation at about the 13' 7"  frame - the curve is not smooth. Is this normal?

Jeff, I think I recall reading your account of the development of the Shad design and I think you mentioned this issue. I think that you subsequently made a change somewhere. I notice that one of my plan sheets is dated 2012 and the other is dated 2014 - so then I wondered if I had accidentally received plans that do not reflect the change/s you made.

I would like your advice before staring to skin the boat.

Cheers,

Denis

I had to do some searching but no, there isn't a 'known' problem.  There was one in the initial design but I found and corrected that in the prototype. So it never made it on the final plans.

I went and looked at mine and remembered there is an odd line in the bow, the sweep does change about where you mention.  If you follow this link and look at the photo on the header you can see curve in the bow changes. Is this how yours looks?

http://www.kudzupatch.com/blog/category/boat_building/shad/

Thanks Jeff. Yes, that is pretty well the shape mine has although mine is possibly less pronounced than it appears in your photograph.

Mate, if my Shad looks half as good as your green and black boat when it is finished then I will be delighted. I have decided to finish mine with a clear urethane so that the frame shows through. If I want a change I will add an opaque colour later. To my mind, the unskinned frame is the most interesting and most aesthetic part of the boat.

I am part of a group of about twenty paddlers who paddle regularly every Thursday morning of the year and then sometimes again at the weekend. My Shad will be the only SOF of the group but I expect that some of the others will be encouraged to build one too - I will certainly point them in your direction Jeff.

Cheers,

Denis