Panda FREE Antivirus for Personal Use (affiliate link)
Sign in to follow this  
Stareed

Spindrift 10 build

Good day all,

I have been working on this Spindrift 10 quietly in between my Merchant Marine job, three kids and my "other" job of owning my own carpentry business when I am off the ship. I received the plans  months before I started. And as with most of you, life has a tendency of getting in the way whenever you say " I am going to make some headway today, this week, this month". I cut out all the parts and got the boat stitched up in May, took the summer off and got back to it in Oct. considering since May I have only had two and a half months off I dont think Im too bad off. Cost....did I mention I have three kids! anyway my wife almost had a heart attack when four sheets of plywood cost 400 bucks so I have been slowly spending money, the below pictures are the result of TWO quarts of resin and the hardener. Please dont freak out, I have only tacked the panels and full on glued the stringers,gunwales ect. I was very careful to watch out for twist and fairness along the way and think its pretty good so far, but Im a boat driver not a boat builder yet so I may be wrong. You'll notice the plans in the boat looking very well used, I have read them so many times I barely need to look at them anymore ( I still do to make sure of stuff) and I have a "shop" set and a study set. B an B has no need to worry about me making copies...the shop set will be worn pretty thin by the end. I wish I could just work on it all day everyday, I love building things out of wood and boats sure beat the sh#t out of anything else in my opinion. 

b8.jpg

b9.jpg

butterfly.jpg

butterfly2.jpg

scarf.jpg

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b5.jpg

b6.jpg

b11.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Stareed,

Your biggest mistake was telling your wife how much things cost. When it comes to boats you always have to divide the cost by at least half and even then they will still say gee that's expensive. Surely you don't think that she tells you the truth about how much her new handbag or shoes cost. I have learned this over time that in order to continue with my hobby of boat building, you have to fudge the figures a little or sometimes a lot in order to get the ok to start a new build.

Alex,

I have been married 17 years now and I cant hide anything from that woman! She is like a forensic accountant and does all the  books as I have spent my adult life on ships around the world, its hard to take care of stuff in the middle of the ocean.  I have a  job on a drillship now with really cool stuff like phones and internet but the damage has been done- cant hide nothing! That's why I started a carpentry business, separate stream of money!  As for her telling me how much she spends.....gave up caring long ago. When I tell her about anything I want to do she automatically adds double time and money already - like I said 17 years, she knows me better than I do. 

• Like 1

Not saying you are doing it wrong but get the kids hooked up. The minute the kiddies are onboard so to speak you go from selfish guy wasting family money to hardworking dad bonding with his kids. Most women like that. Then you take them out sailing in a boat they helped to build, their faces light up and it's all in a bag. Perfect time to tell the good wife that the 10 footer is just a tender for the real boat of your life. Whatever that might be but (usually) a lot bigger than 10 ft. PeterP

• Like 1

Thank you gentlemen,

I have tried and tried to get the kids in on it, I have a 14 year old daughter which could never be bothered enough to be involved other than for some pictures for Instagram of her in it sailing on a perfect ( picture perfect) day, a 10 year old son who is far more interested in Playstation and soccer to care much, however the 4 year old baby girl is out there with me all the time. And the 10'er is absolutely a step to bigger dreams, I had rebuilt a 25' Classic Mako CC and had it for a couple years before the crash in the oil field forced me to sell it. I wanted to build the OK25, but I needed to prove that I could build a "boat" lol, I know perfectly well that the Spindrift is in a different galaxy than a OK25 but she- the wife doesnt, and she did see me finish the mako and she enjoyed being on it, so I got that going for me. 

Years ago, my son and I built a boat “together”.  His involvement was mainly for photo the ops.  That all changed, when it was painted a pretty color and went in the water.  Keep the faith.  It’ll be different when it’s a real, fun little boat.  Just be sure to let them go out in it alone, and goof off.  Even your forensic accountant might turn the corner!

My involvement with my son and the building part was similar to Don's, but he loved actually using the boats. He became a very active boater as he grew up.

Great topic that should probably have its own thread. I had my kids take Sunfish lessons each individually when they were 8. It was a week long camp. what I feel like they really bought in was when they realized they could sail themselves. Like me they would talk of the places they would sail to when our boat was built. Now they are older with too many things to find time to sail much. but the participation in building led them to their own creative identities. 

I met Amos's kids at the Messabout and saw how enthused his kids were for sailing. The key is to get them hooked young. To those that haven't read "Swallows and Amazons" to their kids, its never too late.

• Like 1

One last thing on the subject.  My “boy” is now 39 years old.  The boat is in the back forty, unused, and checking badly (fir).  I thought we might give it away to someone who might get some use out of her final years.  He wants to keep her, even though he has no place to store her.  So there is some deep connection there that I will never understand.  Keep it up— you’re building more than a boat.

Damn it, Thrillsbe you trying to get me misty eyed? I'm 39 and would do anything to have something that I did with my dad; he has been gone 4 years now. Enough said, I will not bitch about my kids ever ( in this respect anyway) again. You guys on here are awesome.