WRC drying up, alternates?

NY_Rocking_Chairs

Went on a mission yesterday to find some Western Red Cedar (WRC) for my current project and both of our local wood places had removed WRC from their web-site, since we needed some other stuff we still went to the closest one and he did have enough material for our project but said the prices had been going up so they weren't purchasing it and what he had was all he had (if I had had my trailer would have bought it all).  

Just wondering if others are encountering similar issues and how they're getting around it?  I have identified another local company that sells WRC decking but haven't gotten prices yet, other wood species?  I have used decking in the past, but not as cost effective.

Cheers!

There are a few options other than WRC, though most are slightly heavier and denser, which might not be a bad thing, depending on what you're building. I'd think Douglas fir the obvious choice, which is about 10% heavier, though considerably denser. Douglas fir is sold in the big box store as exterior decking and can be found in long, straight grained pieces, usually 4/4th's and 5/4th thicknesses.

Chairs, where are you located and what stores have you tried?  Based on the Matthews and Fields reference, I'm assuming you're in the Rochester area?  I live in Fairport.  I've purchased all of my BB and WRC from Pittsford Lumber.  The last time I was in there (a few months ago) Val (one of the owners) mentioned that she was thinking about dropping the WRC due to the high tariffs but I hope that isn't the case!  Have you tried Lakeshore Hardwoods in Victor or Bristol Valley Hardwoods in Bristol?  I'm not sure if either of them carry it but a quick phone call should provide the answer.  I've also had luck in the past with Rochester Lumber.  I got a really nice 4x4 WRC post from their "off-cuts" pile for next to nothing. 

Dave, yes, I got this last material from Pittsford Lumber and he said they were no longer ordering WRC.  Checking Bristol Valley they also dropped it from their web-site/price list but we did not travel down there as we were able to get what we needed from what was left at Pittsford.

I had not tried Lakeshore yet, need to pay them a visit at some point.  

Am in Webster.

Nope, I meant the WRC. My understanding is that most of the WRC (and a lot of other softwoods) come from Canada and there's a big trade dispute between the US and Canada concerning lumber imports.  The US insists that the Canadian prices are artificially low because the lumber industry in Canada is subsidized by the government.  The US recently imposed a 20% tariff on lumber imports from Canada. Here's a brief snippet from an article I found on-line.  

Why Are Cedar Prices Going Up?

You may have been surprised by the recent and/or impending price increases on Western Red Cedar lately.   This has been caused by a large trade dispute between Canada and the U.S. that has been going on since the 80’s on all softwoods imported from Canada.  Not only is this effecting Western Red Cedar, it also affects Alaskan Yellow Cedar, Douglas Fir, Pine and a host of other softwoods.

I am half way through building my first SOF (a Shad) and am using western red cedar for all the stringers. I am using new western red cedar panelling that was on sale at a discounted price. An advantage was that it was the right thickness and I needed only to saw the panels into the correct widths. After sawing to the correct widths I gave each length a good flex in all directions to check for weakness - only one failed the test. I needed three lengths to make each stringer and so each stringer has two scarf joints. I made a scarfing jig following Jeff's model and used Titebond III which we can get here in Oz. It has worked out really well.

Cheers, Denis

• Thanks 1

I’ve been using sequoia for a while. It’s similar enough to wrc, I think, and certainly available in long, clear lengths.

I’ve been getting “2x” stuff, and ripping 5/8” strips off them to make Kudzu stringers. The 1-1/2 x 5/8 pieces can Then be further reduced, as needed.

They use sequoia in decks and fences. Redwood, it’s called, though they live on the coast. It’s mostly managed sequoia, we get. Sequoias are bigger, coastal redwoods are taller. :) 

Anyway, maybe try a fence and deck place. Look for 2 x 10-12 x 16’ boards.

That has been my approach, anyway. 

Peace,

Robert

The panelling I am using is 16 mm (5/8") thick with tongue and groove edges. I can get 3 x  25 mm (1") strips from a panel without the tongue or the groove being involved. in Australia, it is typically joined edge to edge and used inside bulidings as wall or ceiling paneling.

Cheers, Denis 

• Thanks 1

In the US many think of sheet goods, 4'x8' made to look like boards as being paneling. T&G planks might be a better description, at least for us in the US to understand.

I have used left over T&G Oak flooring as stock myself, though I did it because I already owned it.  It seems good S4S or rough stock is harder to get all the time. It's a shame we have to use material that has more milling into it than we need, and the milling causes more waste.  At least you found a solution Denis.