Vardo launch

FloatingFinn

Very nice. I rather like the soft light winter brings. We are heading into summer and solid water will be the least of our concerns ;-)

Do you find the rear hatch is a help and worth the extra effort? (I Suppose it depends on how much you plan to carry and how often.)

Thank you Quiet! I would rather have summer all year round, but i guess our mild and short summer feels better after you wait it for 7 cold and dark months. :D

It´s too early to say if the hatch is a lot of help, but if you carry camping gear with you i believe it will be a bit easier to load them in the kayak through the hatch. While building i was thinking if i needed the hatch or not and decided to put it there just in case. Much easier to put it there while building than add it later. I have a piece of plywood a bit bigger than the hatch lashed between the rear deckbeam and gunnel to fit the base of the hatch on. It was quite easy to add it and didn´t cost all that much, so i think it was worth the effort.

Thank you NY_Rocking_Chair!

I got mine from Finnish kayak supply store, but Kudzu store has hatches too. http://www.kudzucraft.net/Boat-Building-Supplies/

I planned to put hatches on both ends, but couldnt fit the one on bow so it looked nice and so i wouldnt need to cut deck beams. So i decided to left the bow hatch off.