Bumps in awlgrip topcoat

acreew

Any advice greatly appreciated:

painting awlgrip topcoat and keep getting bumps in the finish. Have minimized dust(boat is totally enclosed in plastic suspended from garage ceiling), varied reducer from 15-30%, used various rollers, cleaned tipping brushes, strained the paint, wiped surface with recommended solvents, tacked the surface, ....all to no avail.

the bumps appear to be paint solids when I sand them out...

awlgrip rep suggested painting outside.

any other suggestions?

What is the air supply in the "paint booth" and how do you get in and out of the booth? How long has the primer been down before the topcoat? What type of tipping brush are you using? What type of roller? Invariably, it's some form of contaminate, though outgassing is a possability if the primer was fairly fresh. If it's actually "paint solids" the paint needs to be well shaken. Take it to the local big box store and have the shake the crap out it, then once it's finished, make them do it again. Lastly how big are these "bumps" and can they be buffed or compounded out after the paint cures good? AwlGrip will tell you you can't buff it out, but I'm telling you it can be, I've done so for years. Most paint jobs errors can be fixed with fine sanding, compounds and buffing BTW.

Primer was in place for several months....no air supply... in and out via a slit in the side( painted with supplied air)...of note.. initial topcoat done without the booth with same result... tipping brush = red tree 2" badger or Wooster yachtsman(didn't seem to matter)

bumps are size size /consistency of dust specks but appear immediately after tipping. See attached picture....

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

I see quite a bit of stuff there, likely everything from hair and dust to bugs. I'll suspect your condisions aren't as good as you might have hoped. On the next round, wet the floor down with water, which will help hold down dust. Also don't place florescent lights over the boat, as they actually make dust, by vibrating it out of the air. Much of that can be knocked down with wet sanding and buffing, but some of it is just way too tall to completely flatten.

Lay on enough paint so you can aggressively wet sand it down to a fine luster. I usually figure a whole coat will get ground off, putting a fine gloss on with paper and eventually with the buffer.

Next time, spend some time thinking about the tent and use filtered air and a box fan to supply it. I usually place it to suck the air through the filter and blow out of the tented space. I also use a double flap door, that can be taped closed, so only filtered air enters the booth. In other words, a furnace filter at one end and a fan at the opposite. Make the filter size at least twice the area of the fan.