CS20.3 Launch & Recovery check lists & Float Plan . .

Pete McCrary

I have probably raised & lowered Chessie's mast a dozen or more times.  Each time there's some improvement.  Such as -- not so many trips in and out of the boat or to and from pickup to boat or reverse.  By this time I've been able to ID the common missteps.  So, I've made these attached "check lists."  I don't actually "check off" each task as it's done, or refer to the list to determine the "next thing to do."  Rather I review the list before starting the procedure -- and that's about all the guidance I need.  So, maybe these could be of some use to others who mainly sail solo.  I'm open to suggestions as to modifications or notice of omissions.

Here are the ones for transition from ROAD to WATER . .

image.thumb.jpeg.b3399cc1b20222b2cbfed0a41ae1f844.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ce298bc80439c42aa60778ed762711eb.jpeg

The second page is on the back of the first.

These are for the reverse -- WATER to the ROAD.

image.thumb.jpeg.8febe11e1429f8d5eebad8305441f002.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e51299662512f888c3609dca0d0a9edf.jpeg

"Trailer Sailors" often leave their trailering rig in the parking lot of the launch ramp.  If overnight parking is allowed, usually the management of the Marina or public park require that a "Float Plan" be left with them and/or on the windshield of the tow vehicle.  Seems to me a good practice anyway.  I've always left another one with the wife at home.  Here's the form that I made up for "Tattoo" and modified for "Chessie."

image.thumb.jpeg.c58954d75477fc91f78ea5c358cc1f9e.jpeg

If any member would like a copy in ".pdf" format -- just let me know by email and I'll reply with a "*.pdf" file attached.

My present plans are to attend the MASCF with Chessie as an entrant.  My Annie will probably be with me.  If so we'll probably stay at a B & B.  If I'm solo I'll bunk in the boat.

BTW, did you notice that I forgot [on the check list] to deploy and stow the anchor?  When trailering it shouldn't be in the roller like you would have it on the water.

Don, no checklist is perfect.  Opportunities for #£%*? will still exist.  But if I waste my limited energy on these "no-fun" tasks, I'll be "too-pooped" to enjoy much of the really fun part.  One reason I like the overnight (or several-day) cruises is that once I'm under way -- I'm not concerned about recovery on the ramp, making the rig "road-ready," traffic, etc. in order to get home before dark.  I've found that a "solo" day sail (for this 84 yr old) is very exhausting endeavor that can lead to big mistakes at the end of t.he day.  That's also often true even with crew, because I've never had crew that I could trust to do the hard part.

Now, if my home was on the water with a pier and Chessie kept high-and-dry on a lift -- boy, would I enjoy that!

Add to checklists: Deploy and Stow Anchor.

Add to Float Plan: Safty equipment: Fire Extinguiher 

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing.  I am still relatively new to sailing my CS17, and I know I could rig it quicker with more practice and less line tangling.  This is an excellent idea.  I always leave a float plan with loved ones or neighbors.  Rigging time is about 20 minutes.  De-rigging about 15 min. 

Maybe someday I'll move up to the 20.  But for now, 17 suits my needs and time.  

Pete, I set up my BRS 15 with simplicity in mind.  (i.e., no reefing, sails furled permanently to the masts,etc.). Everything is on board, except PFD's for guests.  So for me, setup and sailaway is quick and simple. If I had reefing, sail tracks, outboard motor and fuel, my daysails would get complicated enough to have a checklist.  

And currently, all my sailing is a few hours on a local reservoir, so sail plans consist of a verbal "I'm going to Lake Robinson, honey!"  When I start my camp cruising adventures, I'll have to revise that, too.

Pete, we should probably start a separate MASCF thread but my current plan is to go down Wednesday night and sail to Wye Island on Thursday. Nobody can go with me so that simplifies things as I'll sleep on my Sea Pearl anchored, but in a tent at the event. It would be great if you could go on that excursion. It's always fun. I've also volunteered to put a slide show of the award winners Saturday night so hopefully I'll be talking lots of pictures of Chessie.

• Like 1