Vardo build questions

FloatingFinn

Hello from Finland!

I´m currently building Vardo, whitch is my first boat build. Im in around 50 hours now, if you count all the hours ripping the wood and all. It´s getting on quite nice for my opinion, but i think i might of make a mistake? In the bow end i cut bottom stringers after the last frame (the one that bow assembly is attached). Now after watching some FROG pics on this forum i think those stringers were supposed to be attached to the bow assembly same way as the gunwales are? Does it make the skin go on wrong in the bow if the stringers arent going all the way, but are cut like they are in the stern end? I havent started lashing, so i could still remove the stringers and make another scarf joints on them if it´s recommended?

Another thing that i wanted to ask, is if Alkyd paint would be good choise for polyester skin (original 8oz) or if i should look for some other option. Reason why i would like to use alkyd paint, is that it´s available locally in the colors i would like to use.

Thank you for reading and your feed back!

IMG_20170820_122656-01.jpeg

• Like 1

Alkyd means different  things. What I have found is most any paint will work. Just test on some scraps to make sure.

Oil based instead of water based are tougher and longer lasting but either will  work. Water based paints are softer and may get skinned up and need recoating sooner as it wears. While oil based will take a lot more abuse. 

Here in the US oil based paints are getting harder to find so water based is being used more and more. 

• 2 weeks later...

How wide lip is needed on the coaming to keep sprayskirt from slipping over it by it self?

I thought about making two layer lamination for the lip. It would make it around 7mm thick (=0.28"). Do you think it´s enough, or should i laminate third layer to make it little over 10mm (=0.4") or even four layers?

• 2 weeks later...