B&B Messabout 2017

Alan Stewart

I'm only permitted to do a very few, quite specific things in the kitchen and I've earned this prohibition. If you're just not into cooking like me, the best thing you can do is burn the crap out of one of her favorite copper bottom pots. This forces them to insist on similar demands as mine has, it's just she doesn't realize it was an intentional act on my part. I've been called many things over the years, but stupid isn't usually among them. To reinforce my nearly total banishment from the other half's room, I cleaned the cast iron skillet. I mean I cleaned the crap out of it, scrubbing for an hour until I could see metal again. Yes, I know I removed the seasoning, but the deer in the headlight look served me well and I'm relegated to an occasional grilled cheese and microwaving a leftover slice of pizza. You have to plan this stuff out in advance guys, or you'll be doomed. BTW those VS thingies aren't food, much like spray cheese in a can isn't cheese. I'm not sure what they are, but it is interesting that they appeared on the market just as above ground atomic testing was in full swing. Possibly some test victims, grazing about during the tests, that have been feeding the world ever since? I mean how many VS's can you get from a 1,500 pound side of unnaturally warmed beef? Stuff it through a multi cylindrical holed mold and poof, hundreds of VS's per second . . . Just saying . . .

Paul, I've got it on good authority that VS is actually grown on a plant, so is not a meat byproduct at all.  It looks kinda like a green bean plant except bigger and browner. Usually the VS grow in clumps of three "sausages" and there are two or three clumps per plant. The plants need to be fertilized with hog waste about every  six weeks of the growing season. When they are soft and kinda gushy feeling, they are picked and the rotted ends cut off. Then they are soaked in salt water from hog waste ponds that have been overflowed by hurricane storm surge waters, and then immediately canned.

The secret of this process was discovered by pirates way back during colonial times after a major storm had blown some of the native sausage beans into a nearby wild hog pen kept by a local Indian tribe. The pirates had been blown ashore and were searching for something to eat while they were re-floating their ship, when one of them picked up a bean that was floating past and absentmindedly popped it in his mouth. He found it YERY good! It's rumored that old Black Beard himself convinced Governor Tryon to begin canning the beans so that he, Blackbeard,  could smuggle them out of the colonies to his contacts in the Caribbean. It's a little known fact that today, although sold under several separate brand names, Vienna sausages all come from two or three closely guarded secret farms  that are still owned by descendants of those same Indians. And the canning plants are owned by descendants of the Tryon and Beard families

To bring this back to the  B and B messabout that we're SUPPOSED to be talking about, one of the reasons that the Breeze and I want to go on a mini-cruise is that I've discovered an old  authentic pirate map while searching the archives of the Vienna Sausage Museum that seems to indicate the location of one of these original Indian VS bean farms not far from the Bay River.  Later on after the United States came to be, a VS packing plant was built in the ruins of an old blue crab packing plant that had been built at the same spot as that particular Indian hog farm. If we can find it, we're hoping to trade our silence about the location in exchange for a lifetime supply of Vienna sausage.

By now, I'm sure that some of you are asking, "Why are they called Vienna sausages? That's not an Indian name, nor does it sound like a pirate name." Well, the answer is really quite simple. At the time that Governor Tryon was beginning to try to perfect the canning of the beans, he enlisted the help from a gentleman that was visiting from Vienna. As it sometimes happens, this gentleman was a member of a famous family of food processing folks back home and was able to convey the secret of the canning process. The governor wanted to honor the man, but for obvious reasons, the gentleman didn't want his name used, so he suggested that they be named after his home town instead. And there you have it. The secret, never before revealed origins of the wonderful Vienna sausage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chick Ludwig said:

Paul, I've got it on good authority that VS is actually grown on a plant, so is not a meat byproduct at all.  It looks kinda like a green bean plant except bigger and browner. Usually the VS grow in clumps of three "sausages" and there are two or three clumps per plant. The plants need to be fertilized with hog waste about every  six weeks of the growing season. When they are soft and kinda gushy feeling, they are picked and the rotted ends cut off. Then they are soaked in salt water from hog waste ponds that have been overflowed by hurricane storm surge waters, and then immediately canned.

The secret of this process was discovered by pirates way back during colonial times after a major storm had blown some of the native sausage beans into a nearby wild hog pen kept by a local Indian tribe. The pirates had been blown ashore and were searching for something to eat while they were re-floating their ship, when one of them picked up a bean that was floating past and absentmindedly popped it in his mouth. He found it YERY good! It's rumored that old Black Beard himself convinced Governor Tryon to begin canning the beans so that he, Blackbeard,  could smuggle them out of the colonies to his contacts in the Caribbean. It's a little known fact that today, although sold under several separate brand names, Vienna sausages all come from two or three closely guarded secret farms  that are still owned by descendants of those same Indians. And the canning plants are owned by descendants of the Tryon and Beard families

To bring this back to the  B and B messabout that we're SUPPOSED to be talking about, one of the reasons that the Breeze and I want to go on a mini-cruise is that I've discovered an old  authentic pirate map while searching the archives of the Vienna Sausage Museum that seems to indicate the location of one of these original Indian VS bean farms not far from the Bay River.  Later on after the United States came to be, a VS packing plant was built in the ruins of an old blue crab packing plant that had been built at the same spot as that particular Indian hog farm. If we can find it, we're hoping to trade our silence about the location in exchange for a lifetime supply of Vienna sausage.

By now, I'm sure that some of you are asking, "Why are they called Vienna sausages? That's not an Indian name, nor does it sound like a pirate name." Well, the answer is really quite simple. At the time that Governor Tryon was beginning to try to perfect the canning of the beans, he enlisted the help from a gentleman that was visiting from Vienna. As it sometimes happens, this gentleman was a member of a famous family of food processing folks back home and was able to convey the secret of the canning process. The governor wanted to honor the man, but for obvious reasons, the gentleman didn't want his name used, so he suggested that they be named after his home town instead. And there you have it. The secret, never before revealed origins of the wonderful Vienna sausage.

I hope that lightning is not in your area in the next day or so.;<}

Thanks Scott. Just wanted to set the record straight about VS. I love to research the background about nautical stuff. I use only the best original documents, histerical records, and little known, or totally unknown accounts. Sometimes I'm even able to locate ancient photos and videos. I once taught a class on creation at church proving that man and dinos walked the Earth together. I knew that they had to as they were both created in the six day creation period. Luckily there was a  series of videos made directly after that week, but before Noah's flood, that showed them together. The names of the people were even shown; Fred, wilma, Barney,.....

Oyster, not to worry, I'm already forgiven for my sins, but, why do you say what you did. I always tell the truth. No judgement or retribution for that.

So VS grows on trees, kinda like money. You learn something new everyday. :<}}} I have kept  two cans of it in my dry box for years. We used to use it on the charter boats and would actually warm it up on the manifolds of the diesel engines right along side of our baloney sandwiches wrapped in foil. Simplicity at its finest......

In defense of Chick's latest contribution, there's a Noah's ark  being built by a religious organization in Wisconsin or near there, where after much debate, consultation with biblical experts about the dimensions, etc., they'll be displaying both man and beast, including dinosaurs. Yep, I can see the decorama now, a long dinner table with T-Rex at one end and Noah and family at the other. 

Ok, we're coming. Road trip!  Driving from Wisconsin.  This 17 needs to see its ancestral roots.  Planning to arrive Friday in time for the pizza.  I will be hanging around until Monday, then leaving Monday afternoon or early Tuesday, probably depending on the weather. I'll be camping on the grounds Sat, Sun and poss Monday nights.  My wife, Elizabeth, is making the trip down with me, then flying home early Sat, so we are in a hotel Friday night in New Bern.  See you all there.  --Paul

image.png

• Like 1

Take the Columbus OH route, have a (giant, authentic) meal in the German Village historic district. I recommend Schweinshaxe. (the pork shank with crispy skin) Accompany with a Spaten Franziskaner or Paulaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel (dark wheat beer, best on tap), and politely inform them that fruit is not welcome in your beer. Local accommodations may be wise as you plod along after the meal.

It will inoculate you against any long-term damage Vienna sausages may impart upon your system. Go heavy on the Rotkohl for safety's sake.

Then again, your'e from WI. You could freelance it!

I am German, I know these things ;-)

I just got back from looking Summer Breeze over to see if she's got a good stock of Vienna Sausages......Scratch that!!! Actually, i just wanted to see what needs to be done before our trip to the messabout. Other than lots of dust and leaves blown all over her, she's ready to go. I had pulled the cover off a couple of months ago to show her to someone and never put it back on. At least she's under the carport. I'll pull her out and give her a good bath. She's so excited that she quivered when I told her!

See ya all soon!

• Like 1

Well, Summer Breeze has done gone and messed up. She had the dates for the messabout as Nov. 28th-29th. Silly boat. Thanks to the Don (Thrillsbe) for setting us straight! I've given her her bath, and am gathering up all of the "stuff". We'll be heading out first (almost) thing in the morning, and roll into B and B late afternoon. 

I just touched up some paint on the motor canoe and it's still tacky. Not gonna be dry in time. He'll be staying home, so it's just the Breeze and I. Errr, The Breeze and ME. Sorry, couldn't help myself. The Breeze and I is an old song that I like. Give a listen as I leave ya...

See ya all tomorrow.

For a tease, the most competent sailor on the water,,, She sailed rings around the big guys. a fun time was had by all. And the food with the desert table put some of us almost asleep for the afternoon. Thanks to the folks at B&B for allowing a couple of us to crash the party  and as fantastic hosts!

IMG_1509.JPG