WARNING TO LARGE PADDLERS

toddn.robinson

Im fat. I acknowledge this. But at 6'3", 280 lbs, with a 40 inch waist, I fit into a  Vardo. The boat floated and paddled like a dream. I loved it. But I have had her out 4 times and have now cracked three different frames of a build following Jeff's plans. I do NOT fault the plans at all. I used what was sold to me as "Marine Plywood" from a boat building specialty supplier. Obviously there is something wrong with the plywood.  My warning is this:  if your ply is not exactly as described by Jeff, USE A HEAVIER GAUGE or WAIT UNTIL YOU CAN GET WHAT HE SPECIFIES. I have wasted months of effort and hundreds of dollars in materials building a boat I cannot paddle. I'm heartbroken. 

I sure hate to hear this and I wish you were close enough I could see the boat and tell for sure what was going on. I can only guess but I have not had anyone have any experience like this. We have never had a report of multiple broken frames. We have had a couple of people dropping them off the roof of the car and crack a frame.

I had the frame that supports the rear of the coaming get fatigued after a couple of years regualr use. I often sit on the back deck and I had a couple of the Douglas Fir plywoods to start to sag and  eventually collapse. I don't think the Baltic Birch would do that but that is when I added the center brace just to be sure..  I really believe it is just bad plywood but I want proof. 

I hate to see you give up and I want you in a one of my boats.  While I don't think you can salvage the frame or skin, you can reuse the stringers, foot rests etc. in the boat.  If you had a set of frames would you be willing to try again?  I would like to know for sure it if was just bad plywood.  Watch your email.

On 8/6/2017 at 4:46 PM, toddn.robinson said:

I used what was sold to me as "Marine Plywood" from a boat building specialty supplier. Obviously there is something wrong with the plywood.  

Sorry about your misfortune, but the plywood is probably exactly what is was sold as.  The designation "marine" simply means that the glue is designed to withstand prolonged submersion and the wood had been treated for rot resistance. If it is marine Fir plywood it is structurally no better than CD ext. plywood sold as sheathing.  The designation marine in no way addresses the structural characteristics required to build a frame for a SOF kayak.  Actually, no plywood is designed for such use.  Baltic Birch cabinet grade ply and BS 1088 plys of several species do however work very well.  Like the material Jeff sells for skinning, none of these are designed for SOF, but much trial and error shows they work well. These plywoods work well  because of the number of layers and the integrity of them (lack of voids, lack of knots, lack of open seems, etc.)

I hope you try again.

• Like 1

Todd,

You graciously offered to show me your Vardo. I am still hoping to connect with you (got distracted paddling).

Pittsford Lumber is local to me (no affiliation) and offers Baltic Birch. I would be happy to run one of these 5x5's out to you for what they charge me. So save on shipping. Your existing frames would make great patterns and as mentioned you have the stringers. Heck, if I buy the Vardo plans I may even be interested in your frames as patterns too - although my need for speed has gone away somewhat.

Anyways, just trying to help someone who offered to help me.

I have been in contact with Todd and I am going to get him fixed up with a frame kit. He is supposed to send me one of the old frames so I can do a little destructive testing. I am sure it was the plywood but i want to know for sure that is what it was.  There is no reason for his weight to have been an issue with the right plywood.

On 8/9/2017 at 1:05 PM, Kudzu said:

I am sure it was the plywood but i want to know for sure that is what it was.  There is no reason for his weight to have been an issue with the right plywood.

I agree, Jeff.  The pictures Todd showed in his previous posts showed a plywood that isn't what I would call marine ply.  I will report on my Vardo with 1/2 inch true Baltic birch when I get her done.  Please keep us posted with your findings on Todd's plywood.

I use what is sold as 'marine ply' from Menards. Seems a little better quality than the typical stuff they have. But since I always sit on the back deck before sliding into position (long legs) I always double up the deck side of that cross section for extra strength. I also add a couple of short deck stringers reaching from the rear of the cockpit to the next aft cross section. May not be needed but it gives me peace of mind. 

On 8/9/2017 at 10:05 AM, Kudzu said:

I have been in contact with Todd and I am going to get him fixed up with a frame kit. He is supposed to send me one of the old frames so I can do a little destructive testing. I am sure it was the plywood but i want to know for sure that is what it was.  There is no reason for his weight to have been an issue with the right plywood.

Because you are the coolest guy ever... :)

Peace,

Robert