repainting non skid

Randy Jones

I'm about to repaint the deck of my Belhaven 19.  The original paint with non-skid is in good condition and I'm repainting to change colors.  What's the best method of preparing the deck for paint? I'd like to just take the gloss of the old surface and repaint instead of sanding the surface smooth, but not sure how to go about that.  Also, would the additional 3 coats of paint typically smooth out the non-skid too much?   

What's worked for you?

3 coats of paint will surely have an effect on the coarseness of the texture. A fairly smooth grit flap wheel seems to do a good job on textured surfaces. If it's just color you want, try thinner coats of paint and bulk up film thickness more slowly, so you can make the judgment call on how much texture lose you can live with.

Thanks PAR. I didn't know about flap wheels but they seem like the perfect solution.  I'm using the system three water based LPU and will keep the coats thin as you suggest.

Ed - Too soon for a good photo as she is still under a tarp and wearing a combination of primer, original yellow paint, and new wood. New cabin top is a 3 layer lamination of 3mm ply with the top elevation about 3 inches higher than the original, and no beams.  I can now sit in the cabin without bending my neck.

I'll start a fresh post to share photos and ask for forgiveness in about a month.