A "micro" tender for Carlita

Alan Stewart

The catches are shop made out of 1/2" Starboard with a dovetail bit on the CNC. They work well after some fiddling. They required some pockets to be cut into the nesting bulkheads and it was a bit fiddly but possibly could be done on the cnc for the kit. Tricky to have to glass inside the pockets and then put the starboard catches back in so some careful thickness measurements and double checking were needed. We did a test where we sat in the boat while it was on sawhorses at the two ends and the keel opened up about 1/8". For a larger dinghy I think a third catch at the keel would be needed but for this small boat it works great so far. 

• Thanks 1

A bit fiddly,  good description, though maybe a little understated.   Garry's hardware was that too.  I used a 3rd set on my Spindrift 9 just off-center, though Garry said after I was done that only 2 were needed.   It definitely adds some tedium to the process, but if the boat is nested/assembled a lot it pays off.  If I were doing it again and you offered the hardware in the store, I would buy a set.