Big paddler in a Vardo?

Barton

I am in the process of losing weight and getting back into shape and would like to get back into kayaking before I'm at the "ideal" weight.  I'm currently 290 lbs with a 43 " waist and am 6'2" tall with a 36 inch inseam.  Anybody with any of those dimensions that give me feedback on how you like your Vardo?

My only dimension that is close to yours is height. I'm 6'-1", and I can tell you there is ample leg room for me in my Short Shot. That's the only reference point I can help you with. I'm fairly limber and only have size 10 feet, so I think I probably didn't need to incorporate the laminated beam option. I may appreciate it after more experience in the boat. I've  only had it in the water twice.

Have you spent any time in plastic kayaks? Do they work for you? That sailplane you're in probably does't have a cockpit much bigger than a kayak. At least you won't have to worry about shoulder room in a kayak. :D

-Ben

Ben,  Yes I've had a plastic kayak in the past, but weighed less in those days.  I couldn't even legally fly that sailplane with my instructor now.  I'm going ahead with building the Vardo.  I laid out the frames last night and will start cutting them out tonight.  If I don't fit in the Vardo, I'll either make some adjustments, or wait until I do, but I've since seen pictures of people in their Vardos, and I'm now confident that I'll fit.

Mark

1 hour ago, toddn.robinson said:

I am almost exactly your size.  My Vardo fits me fine.  But be warned, I just cracked a frame getting into my boat. I am unsure if the limber dimensions are sufficient for clydesdales like you and I. 

Thanks for the reply.  I'm glad to hear that it will fit me!   I'm sorry to hear about your cracked rib.  I'll have to think about how to reinforce mine.  Was it the forward frame with the floor lashed to it?  I'd be interested in learning where it cracked and where you were stepping.  I may have to use some of my RC sailplane spar building techniques with carbon fiber tow to reinforce the frame.