What is the deal with that

Joe Anderson

Looking at the Watertribe site it appears like Alan and Taylor were the only ones to finish the North Carolina Challenge.

Well congratulations.

There must be a story here. I am unable to access the Watertribe discussion forum.

Anyone know any details?

I followed the race as best as I could and saw that the winds were 20 from the SW and gusting to 30. Alan called me after he finished and said that the current was pretty strong rowing through the Harlow canal. Strong SW winds tends to lower the water level in Pamlico sound and the water rushes up the canal to try to equalize.

He was sailing the CS17 Southbound built by Ken. She has the lace on rig without reefing. Alan said that he went to the shore and rigged one of the masts in the third step and that she handled very well in that configuration.

Ken, I think that she is faster in white.

• Like 1

Ken raised Southbound to be undeterred or maybe that is unperturbed by heavy weather. I am sure Ken will be pleased to know she was able to look after Alan and Taylor.

This could add fuel to the debate concerning reefing by moving the mizzen to the third mast position.

I saw a green hull today sailing off of Harkers Island and stopped briefly to talk to them. The boat has a bunch of mud on the side of it and was headed east bound to Core Sound. I think the name was Half Fast? For sure the winds has been mighty stiff.

IMG_1202.JPG

17 hours ago, Designer said:

...sailing the CS17 Southbound built by Ken. She has the lace on rig without reefing...

Ken, I think that she is faster in white.

I'll agree that a slick white finish is faster than a pebbly yellow finish but that's as far as I'm willing to go! :)  Some slight credit is probably also due the captain and crew - Congratulations Taylor and Alan!

Unless Alan has made a change, the sails have luff sleeves and no battens.

From your description of the weather, that first beam reach along the North end of Cedar Island may have been a blast or a real pain (smooth water, lots of wind blowing from the beach?)  I hope Alan adds some detail.

Our sails are still of the sleeve luff variety. We opted for the third mast position mainly because it was there so why not. With the main mast completely down windage is reduced which was much needed sailing upwind in about 28 knots in the Newport river. Spray was booming off the bow and blowing back about 3 boat lengths in the wind. It was very wet and still very controllable. The anderson bailer kept up with water removal perfectly. I've always just sailed the reefed mizzen in its standard position but we had a calm anchorage to re-rig the boat so we took advantage of it. Conditions were very tough this year. 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2017 at 7:14 PM, Oyster said:

I saw a green hull today sailing off of Harkers Island and stopped briefly to talk to them. The boat has a bunch of mud on the side of it and was headed east bound to Core Sound. I think the name was Half Fast? For sure the winds has been mighty stiff.

IMG_1202.JPG

That muddy CS17 was ours! 

Thanks for the pic Mr. Oyster and what a lovely boat you have.

We got to Harlowe Canal a few hours after Alan and Taylor and found the mouth of the canal impassable for low water and stopped for the night. 

Other than Alan and Taylor, only a kayak made it through the Harlowe.

We awoke the next morning stranded in a sea of mud with two late night kayaker arrivals who also slept aboard (Note: Graham, you may want to update website to mention the CS17 sleeps 4 adults.) 

Around 9:30am, high tide brought just enough water to wrestle the boat out of the thigh deep mud and get on the newly available route option of heading down Adam's Creek. "Down" Adam's creek (ICW) took 177 grueling tacks into the punchy and shifty gusts right on the nose. Eventually we figured out how to ride the lifts at the edge of the channel and make a little better headway.

So I think the drop out rate was mostly the heavy head winds and only partly the mud bog. We did consider dropping out a couple times. The boat gave us no good excuses though and we continued on. The only boat issue we had was loosing 2 battens from the main sail while reefing in the rough Neuse near Oriental. 

I have some pics and videos I'll share at some point.

I figured that you had been in some ground elements in the ditch, but was not sure if you were part of the "survivalists crew".   Thanks, we noticed you were in the creek rowing with the incoming tide east bound too, and you had some space between us before we could launch our stink boat and catch up with you.  Nice looking build you have there too...