Bronze Rub Strips

CJHolmquist

Hello Kudzu Craft Forum.   On my Long Shot I rounded over the bow and stitched up the fabric per the manual.  I would like to build another kayak and think bronze rub strips would be a great feature.   Would you provide some pointers on installation of bronze rub strips?  Would you suggest some sources for bronze rub strips?

I am thinking the process would be:

1. Do not round over the bow where the rub strip goes.  Just sand the edges.
  2. Drill holes for the rub strips prior to skinning.
  3. Attach skin in the area of the rub strip with monel staples.
  4. Paint/Waterproof.
  5. Use hot nail to put a hole in the painted fabric to reveal pre-drilled holes.
  6. Apply Lexal Caulk to holes and under rub strip.
  7. Screw in rub strip.
  8. Clean up caulk.

Thank you.

CJH

• Like 1

I have done that on my curlew and another skin boat.  I found the bronze at a canoe supply but don't remember where right now but a google search will turn them up.  

I stitched the Curlew down the stems and the put the strip over that.  Bulky looking but it works.  On my other boat I stopped the bronze at the base of the stem and the stitching.  

Not sure I like the idea of stapling even if you overlap.  I would be afraid of leaks. plus I found that stitching to be necessary to pull the final tautness in the skin.  Try a flat stitch.

Joe

I have a new source for rub strips and will stocking them again soon. Assuming I can price them reasonably. They are not big sellers so I can't buy enough to get a quantity discount.  But that is my problem.

If I am going to run the rub strip from top down I staple the fabric.  To get it taunt I use a pair of canvas pliers. They are used to stetch canvas on frames for artist paintings. These are what we have to use on canoes since there is no stitching up on the sides.

• I pull the first side around the bow and stapled it on the side of the bow stem.
  • Next side I staple to the end of bow and trim the frabic as close to the edge as possible. This is the hardest part! You want the fabric hidden behind the rub strip but you have to be REALLY careful trimming it so as not to buen a hole in the other sidet you just laid down.
  • There are sometimes bunches of fabric so you have to cut in little V's or darts in it to get it lay flat. It's not hard, just takes a little time and patience.
  • Then paint the boat.
  • Bend the strip around the boat BEFORE drilling any holes. Mark, drill and countersink the holes
  • Drive in three of four bronze screws to get it located.
  • Tape around it with masking tape
  • Apply caulking and start driving in the screws.
  • Then just clean up the caulking and masking tape.

I recommend buying a good drill and countersink bit with a stop collar. It's hard to get the countersinks just right without the positive stop.

Here's another option for rub strips. Pictures are of the bow of my Ravenswood. The strip is a piece of vinyl about 32" long, 7/16" wide, and 1/16" thick. I cut it from a slat used to insert in a chainlink fence. It's fastened with #4 stainless steel flathead screws on 4" centers and painted with the rest of the hull. Works like a charm and lighter than bronze.

Fair winds, Andy

CIMG1637.JPG

CIMG1638.JPG

• Like 1