The New Suzuki 2.5 hp OBM . .

The new Suzuki 2.5 comes in both short (15") and long (20") shaft versions.  Here's a photograph the long-shaft version:

image.jpeg.09840e1d3391d52b3387b01008ac9fc4.jpeg

I've yet to know what the purpose is of the square rudder-like thing shown above the anti-cavitation plate.  It seems to me that (for a transom-mounted OBM) it would prevent a reversing (180 degree) rotation UNLESS there is a motor bracket that extends substantially aft of the transom top edge.  Even further for a transom with a negative tilt (like a CS20.3).  I guess that wouldn't be required if it had a reversing gear?  BTW, the short shaft version has the same feature.

Does any forum member know anything about this feature of the new Suzuki 2.5 ??

The Honda also has an extension to convert a short shaft into a long shaft.

The Suzuki engine bracket (like the Honda) has an adjustable tilt.  If you can't get enough tilt with the adjustment you can add a pad to the transom to adjust the motor angle so there won't be interference when you try to reverse.

I don't think (and I'm prepared to be jumped on over this :) ) that the angle of the motor is incredibly important when we're putting along at four knots so why not adjust the tilt of the motor forward far enough to get rid of the problem?

Ken....I hope you are right because my setup has the motor tilted back just a bit. It should drive the stern down a bit in forward. I don't have a "mount" like Pete's. It relies on the clamp being opened fully and I have a spacer on the back of the transom to keep the motor back and still get 180 reversing. I hope it works. I bought it brand new.