Spindrift - best budget oars, oarlocks, sockets, horns, collars?

Rdubs

Hi everyone,

I am finally entering the home stretch on my Spindrift 10N.  I was trying to figure out what I needed to buy for a basic set of oars, oarlocks, sockets and maybe collars or horns but looking at amazon.com (where I usually buy stuff) there gobs of choices and I have no idea what pieces work with what other pieces.  I'm mostly building the boat as a project and to "mess about" in as opposed to something I will be using daily as a tender for an extended Caribbean cruise so I don't need anything fancy.  But if anyone has the part numbers for a combination of rowing parts they used on their Spindrift that they were happy with, please feel free to share the parts list!  I know this sounds basic but a lot of things show up when you type in "oarlocks" like bushings, socket inserts, etc. and hard to tell what goes well with what.  The oars need to be compatible with the oarlocks which need to be compatible with the sockets and the oars need to be compatible with the collars but not all oars need collars...sorry for being dull here.

Many thanks,

'Dubs

• Like 1

It all depends where your priorities are.  If you like rowing, get the Barkleys from Fisheries Supply.  I have two sets of Barkleys, but I do row.  Love my Barkleys! But, if you are like Chick, and only row when someone puts a gun to your head (figurativly speaking), get a pair of Caviness oars from Bass Pro Shop, Cabela's, Dick's, etc.  If you do that, don't bother with fancy oar locks and collars.   I am NOT advocating those ugly oar locks that look like modified pipe clamps!

Chick that's a racing oar - I'm not sure Dubs wants to race. :)

Dubs - Would it be helpful if someone (of multiple someones) posted a close-up of an oar, its lock, and the gunwhale all fit together?  It wouldn't clear up all the myriad combinations possible but it would show a proven setup that you could copy or modify to suit.

I would post the aforementioned photo if I had a good setup to show off but mine's actually fairly similar to Chick's at the moment.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ken_Potts said:

Chick that's a racing oar - I'm not sure Dubs wants to race. :)

Dubs - Would it be helpful if someone (of multiple someones) posted a close-up of an oar, its lock, and the gunwhale all fit together?  It wouldn't clear up all the myriad combinations possible but it would show a proven setup that you could copy or modify to suit.

I would post the aforementioned photo if I had a good setup to show off but mine's actually fairly similar to Chick's at the moment.

Good idea; I nominate Mr. Don to post a picture of his setup. 

I was looking at river running oars recently and stumbled across some 10 foot long, two piece aluminum oars that seemed to be lightweight, durable, and fairly cheap.

http://store.carlislepaddles.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=455157