Leg and Foot numbness

Jbrady

Hey guys I haven't yet started my first build but this is the only kayak forum I belong to and I have a couple question pertaining to my last trip on the water in my CLC 17.

First and most concerning problem is numbness in both legs and feet after 20 minutes in the boat. I have a half inch thick butt pad in my kayak that just sticks down, it is comfortable on my bottom but while sitting it seems its causing bad circulation problems. I took and 25 minute run across the bay to a nice point that I like to paddle to and when I got out of the boat the "asleep" feeling was so bad in both legs that I nearly fell. I had to drag my legs around it took about 5 minutes to gain full normal movement.  Just imagine if I found myself in a wet exit situation! Anyone ever dealt with this?

Second issue is that I can't roll. I bought this kayak about a year ago and this is about the 5th outing with it. That is because I bought and fell in love with stand up paddle boarding. I could venture further on my paddle board because I was not concerned with wet exit/reentry or rolling, if I fell I just jumped right back on. So when I decided to give the kayak another shot I knew I needed to spend some time trying to roll. I watched alot of youtube videos which make alot of sense, but once I flip upside down I just can't seem to execute. Its so different hanging upside down in the water. I can't even get to 25% of a roll, twice my head barely broke the water but not even long enough to get a breath of air. I know the clc 17 isn't the boat to learn to roll in but i figure if I can roll it then I can roll anything. Any tips would be apprieciated.

Lastly on a positive note I did learn to do I cowboy scramble reentry, but I broke my back hatch cover. There is 3 strong back braces that strengthen and hold a curve in the hatch cover, while scooting across the back of the kayak my weight pressure separated one side of all three strong backs, cracking the okume plywood(but not all the way through). Can I just expoxy and c-clamp this back together?

Thanks for any help.  I am starting to become a little discouraged with kayaking with SUPing being so easy, but I know I can't cover the distances I need to achieve on a regular basis or haul the gear on my paddle board. I also know that I need a instructor but with all the travels I do for work with breaks lasting no more than a week sometimes, its all I can do just to get out on my own, let alone manage to find a instructor with a opening. Thanks again.

Everyone is different, what works for one will not work for another.  With that out of the way.....

I strongly suspect you need a proper seat in your kayak. Something that has some support past the hips and runs under the thighs. I had pain in my legs from my first boat and I used a pad under my thighs and it helped. I think I cut down a pool noodle? I have heard of people using a rolled up towel. This is good to test the idea and find if that is the problem, but is is no substitute for a proper seat. Best seats I have found are from Redfish Kayak.  They are not cheap but they are the best and they are made to fit you boat.

I buy the sculpted seat blank, have Joe trim it to fit my boat (well worth the money) and use my backbands since I swap boats around so much. Since switching to these it really made a huge difference in MY comfort level. I highly recommend these seats!

To learn to roll you really need a helper. Best way is take a class with someone that can teach, see what you are doing and tell you what you are doing wrong. Another big plus is when you can't get up, they will help roll you over so you don't wear yourself out getting in and out of the boat and have to dump water.

Kudzumeister is correct about rolling classes. Rolling involves very anti-intuitive movements so that your nervous system needs quite a bit of practice to get it right.

As far as numbness, there are a lot of variables including your anatomy, positioning, and seat shape. One action that is likely to make a difference, along with changing your seat, is improving your core strength and hamstring flexibility, which will let you sit more upright. You can google information on paddling posture and exercises to support that, but one thing that you can start right away is sitting on the floor when watching tv. Fair winds, Andy   

My CLC has a two layer foam seat that takes a tractor seat shape in use. Between that and a Surf to Summit high back band, it's one of the most comfortable boats for me.  If it's just got the one layer of foam though, it wouldn't be nearly as effective.  

Post back with your Redfish install. I'd love to see it.