Trailer for Core Sound 17

greendane

I have a Karavan with an extra long tongue for my CS 17.  It works very well.  The longer tongue helps visibility at the ramp, and helps keep the car dry.  I find it much easier to back up than the shorter ones.  The biggest thing for me was to get proper tongue weight to keep the trailer from doing goofy things on the highway.  More weight is better than less I have found (but not so heavy I can't pick it up).  

I found a Galvanized Calkins 1000 lb capacity trailer for super cheap ($250). I took off the pivoting roller racks (there were 2 u-shaped beefy things) and replaced with some brand new 8" wide rollers that I found on Craigslist for $15 each (instead of $40) and scabbed one 4" off my old trailer. My bunk brackets will arrive tomorrow and I'll be wrapping either 2X4 or 2X6 with carpet for the bunks. Replaced the cable in the winch with a strap, new safety chain, lights, and replaced and repacked the wheel bearings. I added a cross-member L-beam to the back to provide a home for the first roller. Am cleaning up a few minor rust spots and with any luck, I'll be able to get the boat flipped and on the trailer this weekend. 

• Like 1