reefing with new sailplan on CS 17

tfrei

What do you guys think about this approach to reefing hardware?  The plan calls for the use of cheek blocks, but the particular sprit I am using is very rounded and the check block might rock sideways after it is installed.  This simple use of eye bolt and ring seems like it would get the job done and the eye bolt would more easily be installed on the round end of my sprit.  

What do you think? Thanks.

reefing technique.JPG

Tom,

The suggested reefing set up would work. However, I look at friction as the enemy in running rigging and I think a Harken 233 micro cheek block or similar would work better. I don't think the suggested approach would save any weight or much cost, and you're still putting two holes in the sprit. 

Cheers,

Brian

I love your simple approach to the problem, tfrei!  I think it's definitely worth trying for a season.  I really don't think that friction is a significant factor, since all the tension is supposed to be off the halyard when reefing.  I love Ronstan's small Shocks.  I use them on my dinghy (Cabin Boy)  everywhere for blocks.  They are slicker than your steel ring, but cost more-- about $8 each (https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ronstan--shock-sheaveless-block-red--14433684?recordNum=11).  And they will reauire a short lashing for attaching them to the eye strap.  Stick with what you've got.  It's clever!

• Like 1

Forcing loaded line to make that turn, around that ring will prove very hard on the line, not to mention dramatically increase friction. You need a cheek block, which can be had with curved or flat backs. I make my own for this sort of thing, but there are several small cheek blocks available for not much money.

These control lines don't see a lot of movement during their use.  I think friction is not that big a factor.  I suggest just playing with it.  Try it, try something else, repeat the process.  Have fun with it.  I have tried out several different main and mizzen sheeting systems.  For me, it's part of the fun.  But I personally think you're on to something.  For sure, play with it in fair conditions. If you still like it,  reef again in more blustery conditions.  You'll know what you should do.  Just report back here when you're done, so we can all learn from you.  Btw, if you like, I'll mail you a couple of shock blocks to borrow/play with.

tfrei, 

Good afternoon.  Two weeks ago I was sailing with my wife, with the standard set up on my Core Sound 17, and she could barely get it reefed in.  So we did a modification and added a turning block.  Last Sunday I was sailing with my daughter, she was driving and we needed to reef.   Even with the turning block it took some effort to get it done.  But less force.  Also the boat in those conditions is rocking around and nothing is easy.   My fear with your systems is that you may not be able to reef when it is important, and or the line may get cut. 

Kindest Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to follow up on this.  We were sailing on Sunday, we reefed both main and mizzen and would like to have put another reef in the main.   Unfortunately the turning  system I put in did not work well.  I think the sprit is turning during the process and the very small cheek block on sprit  angled and therefore causing the line to get caught.  I will change that just a small block.  I may also  put a ball with a block on the sail at each reef point on the leach.  Lines will run on just one side of sail( sprit side) for the reef.  We will experiment and tell all.  The other thing to note is that when we decided to try for a second reef on the main, the boat was completely wet and very slippery and the boat was bouncing around a lot.  I think our problem is part equipment, trying to gear it to our strength, and technique.  Reefing  a sprit which moves is different from reefing a boom which is fixed at one end.  We plan to make some changes, practice in the drive way and then on the water in easy conditions. 

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your help.  I was away from this forum for awhile and am just now getting to your answers.  Before seeing all your helpful suggestions, I had already installed the ring setup as shown above.  I expect, however, that friction might be a problem, so I will look for something that might employ a check block.  Thanks again for your help. 

-Tom

The more I sail my CS 20 the more I believe that reefing is the key to a good safe sail. I added a second downhaul for the main, and a couple of cheek blocks on the sprit. I moved the main halyard, downhauls and snotter to the starboard side of the cockpit. I might add a third downhaul to make a double reefed main easier. I have a single cheekbock on the mizzen sprit.

I like a lively sail with the rail in the water at times, but I want a secure way to reef.