Curlew Build - keel shape.

SteveH

38 minutes ago, NY Dave said:

Steve, did you have any problems with the frame at 11'6"?  On my plans we found that the notches were cut about a 1/2" too shallow. 

Dave - just checked my 11'6" frame and yes my notches are too shallow there as well. I hadn't noticed it yet as all my attention was further aft and I haven't cut the stringers into the bow yet so they're all sticking out a bit. But yes it appears they need to be cut in a bit. Decided to look at all the others and the 5' 4" looks a bit shallow too.

As far as the keelson is concerned I think the step in the 4'4.5" bracket is too high, if it was cut down a bit it would allow the keel to full into a fair curve.

Also, with the 7' frame being too narrow I was going to cut the frame and extend both pieces out to meet the gunwales and rejoin the frame like a splint on a broken leg (with epoxy and ply) however, my neighbour has just come up with a good idea - leave the frame in place and glue in some short doublers out between the gunwale/stringer and the frame to take up the slack instead.

Jeff - have I been sold some old plans?

No, you have the current plans, I print them when ordered.  11' 6" frame was changed. There is a revision mark on the plans for that.

My suggestion is just stop and give me some time to look at this. I will make it right. Once I get orders out this morning, I am going to start from the beginning and fully review the plans. It may be time to update Curlew. It may take me a couple of days but just be patient.

Curlew was my first commercial design. It has had some minor changes made over the years but I have not given it a thorough looking over in several years. Let me look it over and see what is wrong and then we can go from there.

4 hours ago, Kudzu said:

No, you have the current plans, I print them when ordered.  11' 6" frame was changed.

Well that's the reason I ask - as my 11'6" frames appears to have been not changed i.e. The gunwales appear to need to be cut in further.

But yes I have stopped and will wait for your advice before cutting any more wood.

Found out what was going on.  First, the original 3D model of the boat was lost. I have changed software and somewhere along the line Curlew was lost and not imported. All I had was some other versions I looked at but never used. Took some doing but I did find an old copy and finally managed to get it converted and it into my new software. I went through everything to see what was going on. I found two problems and one thing I want to change. 

• Two frames are wrong.  11'-6" is all out of whack. No idea how it got this way but if I knew how to prevent mistakes I would be a rich man. It is causing a lot of the problems,
  • Frame 7' 0" ?? (I am tired) was wrong so I corrected it. I see what happened on the coaming but no idea why it was undersized.
  • I decided to move the bracket at .... 4' 4" (I think it was) to the next frame at 5' 4" , Steven you can trim your existing one and it will not effect you Dave.

I have two copies of the corrected frames and bracket printed out on my drawing board.  Send me a message with your addresses and I will get those in the mail in the morning.

I have stared at these monitors so long my eyes hurt, so I going to have some fun.

• 3 weeks later...