Crawfish tandem build question

In the books it says that for initial assembly, canoes should skip the gunwales and use the next stringer down to set the frames and etc. On the Crawfish, the next stringers down that are full length are the ones at the chine. Should I just go ahead and clamp a cross-brace to every frame and use the gunwales for this step?

The manual was written for Stonefly and Tangerine which are multi chine and Crawfish is obviously single chine. So yes, you are going need some bracing when you put in the gunwale stringer or it will probably break it.

I don't remember if there there is a chine in the center or there are tow on either side of center? But you probably only need to brace the middle ones, that is where the force of the Gunwale will be inwards.  The others the gunwales will be pulling outward. It won't hurt to brace others and if you see them flexing but I don't think I had to on Stonefly. Of course if doesn't hurt anything to brace them all either.

• Like 1