mounting hardware on sprits for CS 17

tfrei

I'm mounting cheek blocks and eyestraps on the main and mizzen sprits as I adapt my CS 17 to a new sail plan that incorporates a sail track.  

My question is should all of the cheek blocks and eyestraps be through bolted on the sprits, or is this overkill?

Thank you. 

I think bolts are overkill. I didn't do it and haven't seen any strain on the fittings. I don't recall the plans calling for bolts.

Bolts would be good if you had a fitting that was being pulled directly out of the sprit, not sideways like the cheekblocks.

Through fasteners aren't the best choice for spars. They tend to weaken them considerably, so if you elect to use them bond them. Drill over size holes, fill with nearly straight epoxy, with a little milled fibers for better elongation. Let cure, then drill (again) for the size of the fastener shanks. Coat the shanks as they're inserted, for the best bond. In all honesty, screws will do fine and the load place them in shear, which they'll well suited to tolerate.

The plans show thru-screws/bolts for the eye straps that hold the sheet block and clew line aft and snotter block forward, so that's what I used.  I plan to use wood screws for jam cleats and such once I fit them to the boat.  I feel better knowing it's thru-bolted.  Photo shows the aft end. Two bolts serve both eye straps.

sprits.jpg

Thank you all for your help.  I can see using the through bolts on the snotter end, but I will likely use just screws otherwise.  I will drill oversize, fill with epoxy, and then drill again, an d coat the screws when installing.  Thanks for your help. 

-Tom

• 2 weeks later...