Spindrift 10 Mast?

Stareed

I have been shopping for the aluminum tubing suggested for my Spindrift 10 build; which I intend on starting soon. My plans dictate 6061 T-6 tubing, however they do not list anything other than OD, what wall thickness and ID is preferred? 

Thank you in advance,

Hulsey 

dfichtx,

Thank you for the response, I haven't the slightest cue what your talking about other than Douglas Fir! I am building this little boat for experience and for my children to enjoy, I know nothing about sailing! I sailed phrams at sailing camp about 28 years ago, but thats it. I am a decent woodworker and was contemplating making a mast all from wood, I'm pretty handy with a draw-knife and spokeshave, but I just figured the Alum. would be easier and faster. 

I happen to have a Spindrift 10 mast here, mostly made. It has the lower two aluminum sections with the tapered slip fit joint and these are painted white. I also have the boom, but I don't have the upper birdsmouth section (a few feet of wood), which completes the mast assembly. Buy me a six pack and come on down and get it, I'm only a couple of hours away, just above Orlando.

Before you make the trip, send me the dimensions you have in your plans, as I'm not sure which one I have (it's been awhile, I'm old and I build quite a few stick each year). I'll match it up to see if it's worth the trip. If it isn't, I'm sure only the length of the lower tube would need to be trimmed to suit. This one was done several years ago (I think in 2011 ) and was left nearly completed (just needs the upper birdsmouth section) in favor of a different project. You'd be surprised how many change their minds in the middle of a project.

• 3 weeks later...