Andersen Bailer CS17

Paul356

Plans for my CS 17 call for the large Andersen bailer.  Any thoughts on whether the inside or outside mount is preferred?  This is the original 17 (mk I?), so the bailer is for actual bailing, not for filling water ballast.  Photo is of outside mount. Thanks.

--paul

bailer.jpg

When it stops raining and snowing, I will post some photos of my install.  Similar to others in that it is flush with the hull on the outside. I purchased a cheap palm router from Harbor Freight to carve a rectangular depression in which it sits flush with the hull, plus a little extra for epoxy coating and sealant (don't want that plywood edge getting wet.). 

My thinking is that I had put do much effort into rudder and centreboard shape, burnishing the paint, as well as adding a slot gasket to the centerboard hole, that it would be a shame to have a protrusion on the hull.  Every knot counts when the distance is between you and the beer.  

New England weather stinks. 

Just for the sake of adding another 2¢ the original name of the bailer was "Elvstrom bailer" after the inventor Paul Elvstrom of dinghy racing fame, especially Finn Class.  I was confused at first when I came to this forum and they weren't called that.

http://rigrite.com/Hardware/Bailers/Elvstrom_Bailers.php

Here are the photos.  Apologies for the leaves, sticks, and twigs that are in the boat.  Seems they tend to gather right near the bailer...

Hoping to get the cover off next week, barring another snow storm, and giving the boat a good vacuuming.

I put a layer of glass on the flange of plywood, and sealed the plywood edges with epoxy prior to mounting the bailer.  The sealant is Boatlife polysulphide sealant.  I use it on anything below the waterline that I may want to take apart again.  

Good luck.  

20170328_173357.jpg

20170328_134223.jpg