Boat Names

benhardt57

Boat names are a personal thing and everyone uses different ways to come up with them. I use many different methods. Some just feel right, because of the boat's look or features, while others I simply adopt the client name or what they called the first launched boat. This is a common one for me. Others are what family members think it should be called, while others yet are simply a made up word or a word from a different language with a significant meaning.

The unfairness in your stringer looks to be too much pressure just after a "hard point", which will produce that sort of kink. Rather than placing your straps or bungee cords before or after the hard point (frames, bulkheads, etc.), place them directly over the hard point, so the stock can adopt the natural curve it wants to.

Really wish I could see it in person so I could give better advice. But the lam beam may be a bit long. It would be worth taking it out and seeing how the boat looks. If that appears to fix it, then I would just put in place, against the frame and mark it.  Just remember you can always take more off but it harder to put it back on. 

Come on by! Gimme a call when you get into town. You can take a paddle on the Hudson River just a block away from my house. And the Mohawk is about a mile away.

Your suggestion on removing that beam is the first thing I'll try when I get home tonight. If that corrects the problem then trimming the beam would be a simple solution. I'll let you know how it works out.

10 hours ago, benhardt57 said:

I'm declaring it a rookie mistake

No, everyone does it and that is usually when you catch it.  I did it on the last one I built too. You would think I would get it right as many as I have built, but I had one frame off enough to cause a similar problem.

5 hours ago, Kudzu said:

No, everyone does it and that is usually when you catch it.  I did it on the last one I built too. You would think I would get it right as many as I have built, but I had one frame off enough to cause a similar problem.

Yep. The difference is, after you've done it a few times, you "know" what you've done. :)

Well. Theoretically. Hehe.

Peace,

Robert 

Yeah, it happens and there are common errors that affect carpentry. A famous one that gets me frequently enough to force me to double check, is reading the tape measure on the wrong side. Let's say you need a board cut a 66 1/2", so you pull the tape out from right to left and read the tape upside down. No big deal, but it's really easy to put a tick mark at 65 1/2", because you've ticked on the right side of the 66" mark as you naturally do, but the tape is upside down, so it's actually 65 1/2". You'll recognize this mistake when things are exactly an inch off.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PAR said:

Yeah, it happens and there are common errors that affect carpentry. A famous one that gets me frequently enough to force me to double check, is reading the tape measure on the wrong side. Let's say you need a board cut a 66 1/2", so you pull the tape out from right to left and read the tape upside down. No big deal, but it's really easy to put a tick mark at 65 1/2", because you've ticked on the right side of the 66" mark as you naturally do, but the tape is upside down, so it's actually 65 1/2". You'll recognize this mistake when things are exactly an inch off.

Hehe. 

Oh, man. This ALWAYS happens when someone is watching the expert at work, too.

I did this on a trim job once, while the dude was watching.

Awesome. :)

Peace,

Robert

I appreciate you guys not leaving me hanging. I was feeling pretty stupid there for a bit.

Another question: This picture from the construction manual has a series of what appear to be dimensions at the keel. My assumption is they indicate the amount of slope in the keel but I cannot make them out. I know that the stongback brackets establish the curve for the most part, but my concern is the bow end where it cantilevers beyond the 12' 9" bracket. Am I overthinking this? I want to make sure it doesn't sag.

Manual Picture_01a.jpg