Builder Database

benhardt57

I've had my Short Shot plans for a couple of weeks and I am enjoying my new project quite a lot. Since I have spent so much time digging through the forum whenever I needed info, it made me think it would be easier if we had a builder database showing which boat was built, what materials or products were used, quantities, where they were purchased, how much was paid, and a 1-5 rating on satisfaction. A questionnaire could be emailed to each member of the forum, and a volunteer could gather the info and place it on a spreadsheet that is accessible to the group for viewing. With a listing of usernames and hometowns it would be possible to see other members near by. Worthwhile? As a guy new to boat building, I think it would greatly reduce the amount of time I spend researching.

I like your idea although it might be easier to "just" add another section to the forum and have a topic for each model. Builders could then submit a reply containing the pertinent information. I'd definitely contribute once I get going on my own pair Short Shots.

Maybe it's because I'm a newbie, but I would love to be able to easily find information specific to the construction of my kayak without digging through forum posts. It would also be cool to see what choices folks made on other items too, like roof-top racks to transport, and paddles, etc. 

These kayaks take a bit of effort to build. I hate the idea of making a choice during the construction that I will regret for years. To see the choices a majority of builders made would be valuable information.

I'm not sure what you think a "database" would provide that the forum does not.

In the past some here and in another forum I used to frequent suggested similar ideas.  The issue becomes deciding what gets saved and what doesn't.  Who decides what are great ideas and which ones don't make the cut?  A forum isn't an encyclopedia, it is in the present.  Just ask questions.  Yes, we do get some of them over and again, but so what?  I have been here 10 years and I don't find any sincere question asked by someone trying to build their own boat a nuisance, even if a frequent repeat.  

• Like 1

I am not suggesting there is only one way to accomplish each step of the process properly. I think it would ne nice to see all of the possibilities in one place, like on a spreadsheet.

But this goes beyond pinpointing a specific product. For instance, the recommended plywood is baltic birch, and WRC for stringers. I feel like I got a real good deal on a beautiful piece of plywood, but thinking I paid a lot for the cedar even though it was completely knot free. There are maybe, oh 800, 000 in my area. It would surprise me if I was the only Kudzu builder. And maybe they could have suggested a place to get a better deal on the cedar. Networking. That's the idea. And it would be great to meet up with those other builders if there are any near me.

One advantage of a forum is that the question asked, and answered, is current. That's why we don't tell people to search for the answer, or moderate them and say they should search first. Things change, and a certain type or brand of plywood may have been great 2 years ago and absolute rubbish today. 

A database of owners would be good for mess-abouts and that sort of thing, though, so I'm open to it. 

• Like 1