Kayak Building Class October 8-14

Kudzu

Using the Fuselage Frame method you can build a durable and very lightweight (32-35 lbs.) kayak. You don’t have to be a woodworker. If you can tie a knot, use a paint brush and spend the day on your feet you can build one of my boats.

We will start with one of my pre-cut kits. I will teach you how to set up the frames and stringers that define the hulls shape. Using a method that is thousands of years old you will lash all the frames together with artificial sinew. We will use no epoxy, wood glue or screws to assemble the frame. The frame is held together using the traditional method of lashings.

So there is not confusion, the coaming is assembled with screws to keep the class on time.

Once the frame is finished we will sew a synthetic fabric ‘skin’ around the frame. With the skin sewn around your frame, you will paint the fabric to waterproof it. It will dry overnight and the next morning we finish up by installing the seat, backrest and boats will be ready for launching.

Class will take place in Guntersville, AL Cost is $1,300. We need 2 students to hold the class and can have up to 4 students.  If you interested contact me. We are still working on the details.

• Kudzu pinned this topic
  • Kudzu unpinned this topic