Moccasin 2 (double) #194

ecgossett

While visiting my father in Colorado, we finally started on his Moccasin 2 build with plans we've had for a couple of years.

Quick synopsis of the build so far:

Bought 4mm Okoume, with a tight grain 16'x6"x3/4" board of fir. We decided with the cost of the nicer lumber in the area, the entire boat would be mostly fir.

Easy to loft, and cutout using a circular saw, and Japanese saw for a couple of places where the saw blade was to big. Cut two of the bow sections out together, and then made sure all four matched exactly before going any further. Had to flip the boat twice, because we should have started on the outside for initial seams.

For flipping ran cross sections with small clamps securing and then a long board, with a screw into each cross section board.

Cracked a forward hull panel, while wiring up bow stem. That right now is epoxied, and sandwiched between a layer of glass tape on each side.

Questions?

IMG_20170217_160753.jpg

IMG_20170217_185043.jpg

IMG_20170217_185438.jpg

IMG_20170219_090925.jpg

Finished repairing the canoe, used glass on both sides, with thickened wood flour. The split had a one inch overlap, we laminated glass tape on both sides.

Used a combination of wiring and pull ties.. With a board across the top, it takes some of the twist off the strapping. Next is gluing the butt joiners, my father cut a little 1/18" piece for the sides to fill in a very slight gap on each.

IMG_20170221_081644.jpg

IMG_20170221_145336.jpg

IMG_20170221_145352.jpg

IMG_20170221_145410.jpg

Looks like this particular Occoume is very stiff. I've built two Moc-2s, and had no trouble bending it. Later, I helped a friend build a Birder-2 and had the same problem that you're having. I asked Graham about it, and he told me about how some 4mm plys have thicker cores, making them stiffer to bend in in that direction. I think that he has both types that he sells, with the more flexible type for use in the canoes and kayaks.

• 3 months later...

From Joel: The Moccasin build was started in January 2017 (previous post), and finally launched today! Even with winds whipping up in Barr Reservoir (Colorado), the boat tracked well. Included in my post are the build and launch photos. Thanks to all who gave advice! My father loves everything about the canoe, and my mother who grew up in longer heavier river canoes running the North Platte River thinks the boat is a little "tipsy".

Ed: To be clear, I helped initially start the boat and stitch it together when I was home in Colorado visiting. My father carried on with help from my mother and finished it.

http://www.foggysailing.com/2017/06/moccasin-2-canoe-finished-and-launched.html

Better for you to make the modification and have her try it.  It will eliminate all doubt if you do.  It only takes four very long screws to make the modification.  Height makes all the difference in these small canoes.  I have a Flyfisher 13. It is super stable, as long as my bottom is 3" off the boat's bottom.  Once, I tried to paddle it from a kneeling position, like I used to do in my Mad River Explorer.  30 seconds was all it took to convince me that this was not a good idea in the little one.  (I suggest half the distance from gunwale to keel for a starting height.)

I've built and used two Moccasin 2 canoes. They are very stable with two adults on the seats at the prescribed height. Miss Debbie felt very comfortable when she was with me. I also paddled with a friend that was in the 190-200 pound range, as was I. I used to stand in the canoe when paddling solo across the tidal flats down at Beaufort, NC. so I could better see things on the bottom. i also built and used a Moccasin 1, I stayed in the seat down low paddling with a double blade paddle. i wouldn't have felt secure with the seat up high. 

So, my opinion. If she feels uncomfortable on the high seat, and wants to use a kayak paddle, she may be ok on a lowered seat, but it would be awkward to use a regular paddle sitting low. If she does not have some experience in canoes, maybe a day or so spent in one will let her get used to it. Many folks tend to stiffen up and not relax their upper body to "go-with-the-flow" as the canoe moves.